Build Advice Compatability?

Jun 20, 2019
Hi all,
Firstly I just want to say sorry if this isnt in the right forum but this was my best guess.

I have a mid range pc, but I am wanting to make a few improvements. The link below is the set up I am wanting, including a few things I laready have.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTN7mq
2 things:
Would this set up be good/compatible?
Are there any small, cheap changes that you would reccommend to ensure best function?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 20, 2019
I think the main thing is RAM compatibility when it comes to the Ryzen 1000 series CPUs.

You don't mention what components you already have, so difficult to give a more tailored answer than a general observation.

I actually do need to upgrade my ram also, is there a 16gb ram you could reccommend that will work with the CPU?

To be on the safe side I would make the choice based on the motherboard maker's RAM QVL. These are the RAM kits which have been tested and officially supported by the manufacturer.

http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-ab350-gaming3.pdf

Beyond the initial release I'm not sure how much they've been updated. If affordable faster RAM is preferable for Ryzen. With the model number you can enter it into PCPartPicker which should then also give a few retailers who sell it.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
Jun 20, 2019
I have a power supply and a gtx 1050 ti already. I am looking to upgrade my RAM and my CPU but due to this I have to upgrade my motherboard. I upgraded my pc a year ago but I accidentaly bottleneckled it by buying a cheaper CPU than I should have. The list you sent is a tad confusing to me. Can you simply tell me what RAM you would reccommend?
Cheers.

Jun 20, 2019
How much RAM are you looking to get? And at what speeds? (Then there's always budget to consider.)

I'm using G.Skill TridentZ with my Ryzen 5 1600. Specifically F4-3200C16D-16GTZB which is rated at 3200MHz and 2x8GB sticks.

I am looking for 16gb, if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cocst you for your RAM and is it good?
Thanks

Regions will vary. At the time I bought mine it was approximately £150. It was during the time of higher priced RAM and crazy priced graphics card though.

I haven't had any problems with mine (thankfully). I did scan through the QVL for your motherboard and the kit I have wasn't listed on it; though it doesn't mean it won't work. It's just a bit of caution on my part.

Jun 20, 2019
Regions will vary. At the time I bought mine it was approximately £150. It was during the time of higher priced RAM and crazy priced graphics card though.

I haven't had any problems with mine (thankfully). I did scan through the QVL for your motherboard and the kit I have wasn't listed on it; though it doesn't mean it won't work. It's just a bit of caution on my part.
Wicked, that shouldn't be out of my price range. If it isnt on the list will it work with the motherboard? From the sounds of it we are aiming for a very similar set up, what motherboard do you use?
Thanks

I have an ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard. Given how long it was released I would expect more recent stock to have a newer BIOS (so better memory compatibility).

Usually RAM compatibility isn't something to worry about, but the Ryzen 1000 series at release were far pickier than we'd been used to.