Compatibility and 4 inputs?

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I have an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard with a Geforce GTX 550 Ti graphics card.

I am not a gamer but the graphics for me at least is reasonable.
I am now looking at getting a graphics card that:

- has 4 inputs (HDMI/DVI/VGA)
- compatible with the motherboard.

Does one exist that has all 4 connection possible or would I need 2?
Ideally an Nvidia card.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Solution
DVI-D vs DVI-I: 'D' only outputs digital signal, 'I' outputs both digital and analog, so can be used to connect old monitors that have DSUB only input without help of costly active adapters

There are cards that have two DVI outputs. What works best? Depends solely on your monitors - what inputs they have. There's no difference quality-wise between DVI and HDMI connection.

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
My bad. It was late last night, I meant outputs and not inputs! (Duh!).

As long as I can wire up 4 monitors using HDMI/DVI-D then I'm happy. I don't care much for VGA to be honest (who does these days?!)

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
What is the quality like for gaming/graphics in general? Which one works best with the motherboard I have (and an i7 core extreme 990x not that it matters with the CPU)? 2xHDMI and 2xDVI? Is there such a thing as 2xDVI? Whats the difference between the DVI-D and DVI-I?

DVI-D vs DVI-I: 'D' only outputs digital signal, 'I' outputs both digital and analog, so can be used to connect old monitors that have DSUB only input without help of costly active adapters

There are cards that have two DVI outputs. What works best? Depends solely on your monitors - what inputs they have. There's no difference quality-wise between DVI and HDMI connection.

Solution
All 4 of your monitors have HDMI but not DVI? Not that really matters, you can use DVI to HDMI cable or adapter, without loosing quality. Although DVI port does not output sound, but I guess you don't need all 4 monitors with sound signal, right?
Anyway, it would help if you would specify what you want to use that GPU for? Gaming or regular work? What is your budget?

firehawk_1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Right - not looking for sound at all. The monitors from Dell seem to have HDMI and VGA. Budget is almost flexible - I guess up to $600 give or take for the GFX card provided it is compatible with the motherboard.

I am looking for 4GB+ and mainly used for general usage but also quality graphics (not super uber graphics) for some games/flight sims. Some gams like Tom Clancy or delta force series. Not an uber gamer but should be good at rendering smooth and quality graphics.

I would say 80% regular work and 20% gaming.