Question Compatibility and Replacement

Mar 1, 2019
I currently have an Acer Predator G3-710 and I'm wanting to upgrade my processor and GPU.

What is my motherboard capable of upgrading to?

Am I able to replace the motherboard with an "ASRock H310M-HDV LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel H310 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard" motherboard? Or is my conputer not able to change motherboards?

If it is able to change motherboards, what motherboards is it capable of upgrading to that would allow me to use better processors and GPUS than currently available? (By available I mean what is capable of with my current motherboard)

Quite a few questions with some answers being vague.

It's possible to change the motherboard, but depending what you're changing it to it might mean having to change CPU and RAM as well. For example the ASRock H310M-HDV would require changing the CPU and RAM: https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/H310M-HDV/index.asp#CPU

Supposing you do want to upgrade to this motherboard, the question is whether the case you have uses a standard format for the motherboard standoffs. I bring this point up because some system builders may use proprietary components and designs which differ to the consumer market standards. An example is a proprietary motherboard which uses a non-standard power connector from the PSU, and have holes in different places for installing in a case.

As for what CPUs and graphics cards you can use with your current motherboard (which I assume is the question)... it may be possible to install an i7-7700k (most will suggest an i7-7700 because an i7-7700k's potential would be wasted), and technically any modern graphics card can be installed assuming the power supply can handle it. The caveat is whether Acer allows these upgrades, as some system builders might have a 'locked' BIOS which restricts upgrades.

The last thing I'm aware of, which I think you should too, is the Windows licence. Technically as a prebuilt the licence will not transfer to a new motherboard as per Microsoft's terms and conditions. However, some have suggested it is possible: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
I suggest assuming a worst case scenario of having to purchase a new licence.