Compatibility between graphics card and DDR 2 Ram

demon king

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hi, much appreciate your urgent advice in this regard. My system is core 2 duo 2.96 ghz processor with Ram of DDR 2 (4 GB Memory), I would like to play some of the later games like Spiderman (Shattered dimensions), Star Wars - the force unleashed, etc. the technical consultant advised that with DDR 2 ram, the 2 GB graphics card that comes like NVIDIA and ATI radeon does not support the RAM DDR 2 but only Ram DDR3 (which means I may have to change the processor and the mother board and RAM accordingly... Is this true, please advise

Solution
1. DRAM =/= VRAM. Doesn't matter if you have DDR2/DDR3 for your system memory, they will plug into their respective slots. VRAM whether DDR3 or DDR5 is the GPU's own memory which doesn't care about anything else, really.
2. As many have already said, RAM plugs into their own slots. Some motherboards support both DDR2 and DDR3 but some support only one of each.
3. Likewise, GPUs plug into a SEPARATE slot, the PCI/PCI-e slot, far far away from the RAM slots.
List the rest of your system specs, power supply wattage, case type, PC brand and model number. We can help you find a card that will work with your system. As above, the RAM used in the computer has nothing to do with the RAM used in the video card, or what kind of card can be used. The only thing that affects that is how much power you can feed the video card, the card interface to the motherboard and if the card can fit inside the case.

demon king

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Hi,

The consultant mentions that the 2 GB graphics card does not fit in the DDR 2 ram slot and only fits with DD3 RAM slot. Is this true or Can I actually use the latest graphics cards in my DDR 2 slot (which is the only slot available in my system) and hence i dont have to get a DDR 3 instead)

demon king

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

The consultant mentioned that the latest graphics cards that come i.e the 2 GB graphics card do not fit into the DDR 2 slots, and hence only DDR 3 RAM must be equipped for it to work. Is this true or does latest graphics cards work on both DDR 2 RAM and DDR 3 as well

If they are both unrelated, what graphics card can you suggest which is compatible with my DDR 2 slot to play games like spiderman shattered dimensions, resident evil 6 and so on and so forth....budget is max Rs 7000 (approx 120 Dollars)

Wow... He said that?

Graphics cards are not plugged into RAM slots, they are plugged into PCI-Express slots (or before that, AGP slots or classic PCI slots). Any PCI-Express graphics card should be compatible with any motherboard with PCI-Express slot(s). System memory type is certainly not an issue.

Are you sure he was talking about the memory slot and not the PCIe slot? There are some issues with older PCIe revisions with new cards, maybe that's what he meant? He may have been saying that the newer systems with DDR3 RAM would have the newer PCIe slots and thus would be OK to use new cards in where your older system could have issues with some cards.

You need to reply to the other questions about your system, case size, PC brand and model, power supply power.

Melderv

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
1. DRAM =/= VRAM. Doesn't matter if you have DDR2/DDR3 for your system memory, they will plug into their respective slots. VRAM whether DDR3 or DDR5 is the GPU's own memory which doesn't care about anything else, really.
2. As many have already said, RAM plugs into their own slots. Some motherboards support both DDR2 and DDR3 but some support only one of each.
3. Likewise, GPUs plug into a SEPARATE slot, the PCI/PCI-e slot, far far away from the RAM slots.

Solution

demon king

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Hi,

I spoke to the guy based on your reply, he said you were right.... and also the PCIe slot may be old in my system and may not support some of the new graphics card, for that he advised switching to the DDR 3 ram just as a precaution.... I will revert on the other aspects you requested.... i have never checked those before, may have to remove the CPU cover and figure out the same (like the power supply etc)....

Thanks a ton for the advise...

demon king

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Hi,

In the list mentioned, you have put mostly 1 GB graphics card, but would it be preferable to get a 2 GB graphics card instead.....I mean, wont the 2 GB graphics card play the latest games and give a better performance and work on high details in the games rather than basic or low performance options mentioned in the games???

Kindly advice also if the 2GB graphics cards come at the budget of RS 7000

demon king

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Hi,
Thanks for the info..... There is a mention about PCI e 2.3 bus slot and PCI e 3.0 bus slot, please advice what is the difference and whether i need to check what the PCI e slot in my system is before going in for a graphics card that supports the same???? or will a good graphics (say 2 GB) work on all PCI e slots

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Graphics cards are backwards compatible, a 3.0 card will work on a lower numbered slot as long as it is 1.1 or higher.

You will lose performance, but it would be at the 1-2% level which is irrelevant.

You should also be aware that depending on the new GPU card you get, you might need to update your power supply.

2GB memory for low-end graphics cards is not worth it. It's like putting alloy rims and a rear spoiler on a shopping cart.

As you increase the complexity of the game graphics (eg. by increasing screen resolution or increasing graphics settings), there will be more work for the GPU to do, and more information to be stored in the graphics memory. Realistically, the GPU will be too slow before the 1GB memory runs out. So adding more memory won't really help anything.

Just switching to DDR3 RAM is not a solution, upgrading to a new motherboard is, which would include getting new DDR3 RAM and most likely a new CPU.

What card you should look at depends on the other factors like your case size, power supply wattage, your motherboard brand and model (so you can check what version of PCIe you have) and your budget.