[SOLVED] Compatibility between my computer parts

Feb 26, 2022
I built my computer and have been using it for a bit but it doesn't seem to be doing as well as other people's computers with similar parts I currently have
Nvidia 3070 ti
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x with Cool Master Liquid Cooler
32 gb of DDR4 Ram ( OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3000 MHz CL16 1.35V 288-Pin Desktop Gaming ) (Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL19 BLM2K8G44C19U4B)
ASROCK B550am with PCIE 4.0 x 16 & PCIE 3.0 x 1
built out of a cyberpower pc with 2 stock fans
I also have 2 m.2 slots.

Is there something in this pc that would be bottle necking me or causing an extreme issue that would horribly slow down my computer? I'm also only able to clock my Ram at 2300mhz when my OLOy ram is capable of 3000MHz and my Ballistix is capable for 4000MHz, when i clock it at 3000 or even 2700 it crashes my computer. What do i need to upgrade to improve my computer or what can i run to help as well? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I built my computer and have been using it for a bit but it doesn't seem to be doing as well as other people's computers with similar parts I currently have
Nvidia 3070 ti
32 gb of DDR4 Ram ( OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB (2x8GB) 3000 MHz CL16 1.35V 288-Pin Desktop Gaming ) (Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL19 BLM2K8G44C19U4B)
I also have 2 m.2 slots.

Is there something in this pc that would be bottle necking me or causing an extreme issue that would horribly slow down my computer? I'm also only able to clock my Ram at 2300mhz when my...
Nvidia 3070 ti
I also have 2 m.2 slots.

Is there something in this pc that would be bottle necking me or causing an extreme issue that would horribly slow down my computer? I'm also only able to clock my Ram at 2300mhz when my OLOy ram is capable of 3000MHz and my Ballistix is capable for 4000MHz, when i clock it at 3000 or even 2700 it crashes my computer. What do i need to upgrade to improve my computer or what can i run to help as well? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mixing ram kits has always been a no no to overclocking. you want to do 4000mhz? either buy another 2x8gb of the same ballistix kit, or buy a 2x16 ones instead. OLOy at low speed and bin is using the most bad bins, from what i've ever read and experience.

Solution
Feb 26, 2022
Mixing ram kits has always been a no no to overclocking. you want to do 4000mhz? either buy another 2x8gb of the same ballistix kit, or buy a 2x16 ones instead. OLOy at low speed and bin is using the most bad bins, from what i've ever read and experience.
Good to know, other then the ram issue any other thing you think that would cause my computer to not run at decent speeds? Or anything that would be bottlenecking it?

Good to know, other then the ram issue any other thing you think that would cause my computer to not run at decent speeds? Or anything that would be bottlenecking it?
Personally i dont mind about bottlenecks as per what i saw your specs, it's already pretty decent. But for the ram, 2700x cant do more 3466 generally, doing 3600++ is a magic chip for 2700x. so, you pretty much want to upgrade it to 5600x/5800x, or the more cheaper but still decent 5600G or 5700G. sell your oloy kit, and buy the same ballistix kit. 5600G/5700G would benefit alot even if you're not using the iGPU, being lower latency and better performance. So, if you want to use 4000MHz+++ at 1:1:1 ratio on ryzen, go with 5600G or 5700G, but if you want better CPU performance, 5600X and 5800x is better, altho cant do more than 4000mhz, probably 1866 and 1933 is still attainable at 1:1:1 ratio.

A little tips for replacing cpu to avoid any performance problems:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update , and shutdown, replace the cpu, then go to bios again, and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 26, 2022
Slow doing what?

Is slow a recent development or has it always been disappointing?

What trouble shooting and testing have you done?
it's always been relatively lackluster playing stuff like destiny 2 at max settings and still sometimes getting fps drop, i feel like my computer should be capable of handling more from builds i see with a 3070ti and 32 gbs of ram. And especially with the recent drop of elden ring i'm basically unable to play it, i see other people have issues too but i made me start thinking about my own build and curious if theres something i should upgrade to make it a more competitive build and capable of anything i play while stilling being able to stream at max settings.

Feb 26, 2022
Personally i dont mind about bottlenecks as per what i saw your specs, it's already pretty decent. But for the ram, 2700x cant do more 3466 generally, doing 3600++ is a magic chip for 2700x. so, you pretty much want to upgrade it to 5600x/5800x, or the more cheaper but still decent 5600G or 5700G. sell your oloy kit, and buy the same ballistix kit. 5600G/5700G would benefit alot even if you're not using the iGPU, being lower latency and better performance. So, if you want to use 4000MHz+++ at 1:1:1 ratio on ryzen, go with 5600G or 5700G, but if you want better CPU performance, 5600X and 5800x is better, altho cant do more than 4000mhz, probably 1866 and 1933 is still attainable at 1:1:1 ratio.

A little tips for replacing cpu to avoid any performance problems:
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

and the chipset driver/software in control panel (if there is none just skip)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update , and shutdown, replace the cpu, then go to bios again, and load default or optimized settings, find AMD SVM and IOMMU options, enable them (if the option is only auto and disable, just leave it auto), set your XMP/Manual OC and PBO/XFR back then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
good to know thank you very much for that information. What's your take on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SXMZLPJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or should i just go all out on a 5800x

Because you are mixing DIMMS, they default to 2400mhz, which is the lowest common denominator. However, the most important thing about that is that the difference between 2400mhz and 4400mhz, is up to about 25% performance increase with the faster ram for your CPU. This will definitely show in gaming FPS. Just take out the 3000mhz and test with 4400mhz ram in XMP mode. You will see a big difference.

Last edited:
ASROCK B550am
B550 has no official support for Zen+ (Ryzen 2***) so issues can be expected.

ASROCK B550am with PCIE 4.0 x 16
Ryzen 2700X don't support PCI-e4.0!

Never mix RAM with Ryzen if you want stable operation.
It's even hard to get a stable operation with a matched kit of 4 and the crappy memory controller of Zen+.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Feb 26, 2022
B550 has no official support for Zen+ (Ryzen 2***) so issues can be expected.

Ryzen 2700X don't support PCI-e4.0!

Never mix RAM with Ryzen if you want stable operation.
It's even hard to get a stable operation with a matched kit of 4 and the crappy memory controller of Zen+.
So would you say getting the Ryzen 7 5800x and another kit of ballistixs should fix some of my issues I'm feeling?

Feb 26, 2022
For 5800X the motherboard needs a BIOS update.

Get a 2x16GB kit if you want 32GB. Crucial Ballistix is fine, very good compatible. It's the only brand I've never had issues with Ryzen.
I shouldn't have an issue updating my bios for the CPU right? Or do I need to look into getting another mobo too?

I shouldn't have an issue updating my bios for the CPU right? Or do I need to look into getting another mobo too?
If you know where to find BIOS updates for that particular motherboard, yes it's possible. It's an OEM motherboard from Cyberpower.

I've found this http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/drivers/?dir=Motherboards/MB-478-101 B550AM GAMING/BIOS but the most recent BIOS is already quite old but recent enough for Zen3.

Edit: found the specsheet and it seems like the motherboard only supports Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs which is a bit weird because B550 usually don't support Ryzen 2000.

Feb 26, 2022
If you know where to find BIOS updates for that particular motherboard, yes it's possible. It's an OEM motherboard from Cyberpower.

I've found this http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/drivers/?dir=Motherboards/MB-478-101 B550AM GAMING/BIOS but the most recent BIOS is already quite old but recent enough for Zen3.

Edit: found the specsheet and it seems like the motherboard only supports Ryzen 2000 and 3000 CPUs which is a bit weird because B550 usually don't support Ryzen 2000.
So I do need a new motherboard for a 5000 series? Or it doesn't support the 5000 series but it's capable of running it? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I get it right this time.