Compatibility between these two DIMMS?

Apr 9, 2018
Hi all!

Long story short: I have an odd number of RAM sticks, all three are the same but I want to add a fourth. Trouble is, these came as two pair, and the fourth disappeared in a move (things were boxed). I found one that I *think* matches, but I'm no memory expert by a far cry. Can anyone tell me if these two will be compatible?

I believe the important part is the HX318C10, and that the FR/8 and BK/16 are simply color and total package size numbers.

Thanks!

Jack

bram1.jpg

rram.jpg

Solution
I meant running all 4 together and running memtest. They are the same specs.

@k19, That has nothing to do with ddr4 but rather just how the mobo is setup. What model?
Apr 9, 2018
Okay, I should have clarified - all three run fine together, but not as dual channel. I want to add one more to get my dual channel setup back, as I understand that performs better than not dual channel.

These are DDR3. I just wanted to know if the red one will match the specs of the black ones I already have.

Thanks!

k19_window_maker

Upstanding
Mar 2, 2018

like my msi mobo has 4 dimm s 2 are for single channel set up the other two are for dual channel strictly . ddr 4 ..

Apr 9, 2018

Thanks!

Jack

I think you just misinterpreted the manual. It's not setup differently. Any individual slot can be used and ran in single. All slots can be filled and run in dual. Just 1 and 3 are still dual. Just 2 and 4 are still dual. Just about every mobo manual will recommend dimma2 or the second from the cpu but it doesn't make a difference to channels or performance.

Apr 9, 2018

I'm not sure if you were addressing me (no pun intended!), but that IS what I thought - that if I had Dimms 1 and 3, it's dual channel; if I had 1, 2, and 3, that they would all be single channel. I need to go back through the manual.

MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition.

Jack