[SOLVED] Compatibility Check please

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Hi guys I just want to ask some advice, I already finalize my build and would like to ask assistance if this build is compatible and okay. I'll be upgrading my PC in this type of build. If the budget will be okay i'll be also planning to add a Corsair H100i Pro RGB if it fits?

Proc: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Graphics: ASUS Dual GTX 1060 3gb OC (Currently own this one atm)
RAM: Hyper X Predator 3200mhz 2 x 8gb CL16 1.35v
PSU: Aerocool X-Strike 500w
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 500gb SSD 2.5 sata; R|W: 550|520 100k|90K, pn: MZ-76E500BW
HDD: Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB (Currently own this one atm)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Okay so I'm all good except for the PSU? Do you think guys it will run in my current PSU? What might be the problem with my current PSU?
Will it run? Yes.
Is it a good idea? Probably not.

Cheap PSUs use lower grade OEM manufacturers and use cheap components which risk the safety of your other components. And the last thing you should scrimp on, is the component that literally provides direct power to your entire system.

Cheap PSUs = Cheap Components = Risk to your rig.

You can also see a guide I'd made, and refer to the first point here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Also the X Strike PSU is poor quality from my understanding - I'd replace that unit with a good quality one. Certainly a lot better PSUs available and the series have been known to fail ripple suppression tests, have low efficiency and lower quality caps.

I agree, a better PSU is the only thing I'd change. The cheapest good quality ones out there are the Corsair CX and Seasonic S12II. The Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is also cheap in some countries, as is the Antec EarthWatts Gold series in some countries.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Okay so I'm all good except for the PSU? Do you think guys it will run in my current PSU? What might be the problem with my current PSU?
Will it run? Yes.

Cheap PSUs use lower grade OEM manufacturers and use cheap components which risk the safety of your other components. And the last thing you should scrimp on, is the component that literally provides direct power to your entire system.

You can also see a guide I'd made, and refer to the first point here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Reactions: ConanLock
Solution

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
That AIO will work in that case however that CPU doesn't require that AIO unless you have a very high ambient temp.

What is your budget & country?

Around P6,000 pesos or $120 im living in the Philippines. Really? I'm looking forward first to try the stock cooler coming from Ryzen 5 3600 if its gonna be sufficient for my CPU. Currently my i5 2500k idle temp or should i say when im just browsing facebook at stock cooler only is around 47-51C.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Currently my i5 2500k idle temp or should i say when im just browsing facebook at stock cooler only is around 47-51C.
Yes but the intel stock coolers aren't really comparable to the AMD ones.

Really? I'm looking forward first to try the stock cooler coming from Ryzen 5 3600 if its gonna be sufficient for my CPU.
I'd say this is a good shout, try the cooler first, if you then start hitting high temps, then invest in a better cooler. What are your usual ambient temperatures?

Reactions: WildCard999

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Will it run? Yes.

Thanks! How should I know if I get the right PSU? Because there are 500w 600w and higher. One more thing does buying bigger PSU than you need consumes more energy? Do I need a really big watt PSU?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks! How should I know if I get the right PSU? Because there are 500w 600w and higher. One more thing does buying bigger PSU than you need consumes more energy? Do I need a really big watt PSU?
Buying a bigger PSU than you need generally does not consume more energy, as a good quality and modern PSU will regulate and distribute power that is needed, not just throw any power it has out, it will use what it needs.

It's not about size, it's about quality. And most people overspend on PSUs getting far more wattage than they need, yours could easily run on a 500W frankly. What websites do you buy from?

Last edited:
Reactions: WildCard999

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Yes but the intel stock coolers aren't really comparable to the AMD ones.

I'd say this is a good shout, try the cooler first, if you then start hitting high temps, then invest in a better cooler. What are your usual ambient temperatures?
I mean outside temperature most of the time at night is around (25-27C)

WildCard999

Titan
Around P6,000 pesos or $120 im living in the Philippines. Really? I'm looking forward first to try the stock cooler coming from Ryzen 5 3600 if its gonna be sufficient for my CPU. Currently my i5 2500k idle temp or should i say when im just browsing facebook at stock cooler only is around 47-51C.
Try the stock cooler first then use the savings for a better PSU.

You will not consume any more money. For example, if your PC uses 250w, it will still only use that regardless of whether it is on a 250w PSU or 1000w PSU. However, more expensive PSUs are more efficient (for example 80+ Gold), and as they become more efficient, they will actually use less power.

For your system, a good quality 550w or higher will be fine.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So whats gonna be the ideal temp of a CPU with a running game on the back ground?
There isn't an ideal temperature in this case.
If you went off Intel logic (which the newer Ryzen are much more similar to than old AMD)
Then keeping it below 85 is recommended. Below 80 is ideal.
Irrespective of what you are doing, keeping it below them and you're fine.

Ryzen throttle temp I believe is around 95 degrees.

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
There isn't an ideal temperature in this case.
If you went off Intel logic (which the newer Ryzen are much more similar to than old AMD)
Then keeping it below 85 is recommended. Below 80 is ideal.
Irrespective of what you are doing, keeping it below them and you're fine.

Ryzen throttle temp I believe is around 95 degrees.
How about you what cooler do you use? Did you compare your stock cooler and your current cooler? Is the difference any good?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
How about you what cooler do you use? Did you compare your stock cooler and your current cooler? Is the difference any good?
I still use the stock cooler my friend! Perfectly fine.
I practiced what I preached :) - stick to stock, then upgrade if I need to, but I don't need to.
But I also have the 3600X which does have a slightly better cooler from my understanding.

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
You will not consume any more money. For example, if your PC uses 250w, it will still only use that regardless of whether it is on a 250w PSU or 1000w PSU. However, more expensive PSUs are more efficient (for example 80+ Gold), and as they become more efficient, they will actually use less power.

For your system, a good quality 550w or higher will be fine.
Mine Strike X 80+ bronze. I guess thats what makes it bad? Is there a bronze, silver, gold ratings here hehe.

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I still use the stock cooler my friend! Perfectly fine.
I practiced what I preached :) - stick to stock, then upgrade if I need to, but I don't need to.
But I also have the 3600X which does have a slightly better cooler from my understanding.
Oww planning to go 3600x too but I guess ill stick in 3600. Anyway do you think your cooler fits to 3600? If yes I guess i'll try to find one for sale