Question Compatibility concern over Asus Hyper M.2 x16 V2 on AsRock B450M Pro4

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'll preface this by saying that I'll be using the NVMe drives for frequent large file transfer for gaming and editing,
And no, I wouldn't like to upgrade my motherboard cause at that point I'd just jump platform in to X670E and that entire platform swap is gonna cost way too much for what I'm trying to do here.
That and SATA SSD prices for 2TB drives are very close to that of M.2 ones, so I don't see any realistic reason I should sacrifice the speed for it, aside from this,

I've been meaning to upgrade and expand my storage for a while now and primarily looking to move to more NVMe SSD's and leave my current HDD's as backup drives.
I currently use a Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB drive as my OS and smaller game drive and it's not really cutting it for me, I also run 1 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD and 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200RPM HDD, mainly for multi layer backup, game storage and large file storage.

I'm running an AsRock B450M Pro4 motherboard and Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, the main issue I have right now is concerns on compatibility with my motherboard and the card, and that if I wanted to expand my storage without buying the card, I'd have to buy a SATA M.2 drive as my motherboard only has 2 M.2 slots, and those, funny enough, are about the same price as an NVMe one where I live, so I'm looking in to getting the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 V2 (Still don't know if I should grab the Gen4 version for the long term as it is an older design it seems.), V2 model costs around 50 Euros and Gen4 model costs about 80 Euros.

For now I'm looking to replacing my current Adata 512GB SSD with a WD SN770 2TB and put the 512GB SSD in to the Hyper M.2, I am possibly looking in to making a RAID array in the future, but as for now, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on the card as it might prove useful for future projects as well, main concern for me now is the PCIe bifurcation part, as my motherboard doesn't support it. Though I have heard that you can use the card with 1-2 SSD's without much issue, so I still have hope.

Thank you all in advance!

Is 2tb not enough fast storage. Looks like lots of work when you have 3tb more of disks.

I forgot how fast technology has changed. Your motherboard only supports pcie3 so I am not sure if you can take full advantage of 2tb wd device. The m.2 slot is pcie 3x4.
It also appears only the pcie slot you use for the video card supports pcie 3x16. The other long slot runs PCIE 2 x4.

What makes this confusing is the cpu chip you have does support pcie 4 but only runs pcie3 on a b450 motherboard.

This makes me think you can not really have 2 m.2 NVME drives in the machine even if you were to use a adapter card in the other slot. Technically you might get it to work but it would only run pcie2.

Lutfij

Titan
My question is, if the add-on card doesn't work on your platform since I've read that it will work with Asus boards, not other brands. I could be wrong and have been proven so prior. That being said, you're best off having your OS on a smaller SSD that's either SATA (2.5") or SATA based(M.2) without breaking into a sweat when it comes to drives and then falling into a rabbit hole of more parts/money thrown at a problem when you state you don't have that at this moment of time.

Might want to read through this;
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507

USAFRet

Titan

I mean, backblaze states otherwise, though it's not direct apples to apples comparison. Through general knowledge I can take away that it more so depends on the brand and model than realistically anything else, interface doesn't really matter if the NAND is the same.
"Form factors: All of the drives listed above are the standard 2.5” form factor, except the Dell (DELLVOSS VD) and Micron (MTFDDAV240TCB) models each of which are the M.2 form factor. "

All SATA III drives, including the Dell and Micron.
They just happen to be in the M.2 format.

No NVMe in sight.

Lutfij

Titan
If your case will allow and now that you've been weighing options(albeit with some stipulations) maybe just jump onto the B550 chipset with an ATX board that has more than 1 NVMe option. I noticed another thread whereby you went with a Ryzen 5000 series processor. If you did want the most out of that chip, then DDR4-3600MHz and B550 is the route to take...you then open up the door to storage options.

That's how I'd have approached the issue at least. If I had no funds, then I'd bite into my tongue, save the funds up for a proper build from the ground up. If you're in need of a drive for your gaming library, just pick any SSD off the shelf that's SATA based.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
In that case, if you have the 3000 series processor, I wouldn't bother with the B550 chipset(or faster rams). Would scrub any ideas for a platform upgrade and hold off till another generation comes around or maybe when things are more affordable with DDR5 platforms.

USAFRet

Titan
I've been working at a computer repair shop for 2 years, I know for a fact its true as 90% of all failed ssd's we got were nvme's. sata ssd's had a much, much lower failure rate with only 10% of the failed ssd's coming in being sata.
These sata ssd's have been around much longer on the market but they are still lasting way longer than the nvme's.
So....

No brands, no links, no independent numbers.
Just your whole "2 years" of experience.

OK, got it.

To be believable, claims like this really need some verifiable information.

Reactions: Lutfij

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Is 2tb not enough fast storage. Looks like lots of work when you have 3tb more of disks.

I forgot how fast technology has changed. Your motherboard only supports pcie3 so I am not sure if you can take full advantage of 2tb wd device. The m.2 slot is pcie 3x4.
It also appears only the pcie slot you use for the video card supports pcie 3x16. The other long slot runs PCIE 2 x4.

What makes this confusing is the cpu chip you have does support pcie 4 but only runs pcie3 on a b450 motherboard.

This makes me think you can not really have 2 m.2 NVME drives in the machine even if you were to use a adapter card in the other slot. Technically you might get it to work but it would only run pcie2.

Heh, I've pretty much filled my HDD's and am constantly running out of space on my 512GB SSD, I don't mind the lower speeds for the moment, currently just trying to best bang for buck in terms of price and performance, which the SN770 satiates.

AsRock states that the second lower slot runs at PCIe 2.0 x16 (or PCIe 3.0 x4) so I could probably get away with 1 drive in the Hyper M.2, although, it'll be running right up against my GPU, SLI sandwich style, so I don't know how the temperatures will handle it.

Yeah, B450 just doesn't handle PCIe 4.0, more than likely due to signaling and routing of the PCIe lanes, if I wanted PCIe 4.0, then I would have to get at least a B550, which a decent board costs the same as an X570 board over here funny enough.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
My question is, if the add-on card doesn't work on your platform since I've read that it will work with Asus boards, not other brands. I could be wrong and have been proven so prior. That being said, you're best off having your OS on a smaller SSD that's either SATA (2.5") or SATA based(M.2) without breaking into a sweat when it comes to drives and then falling into a rabbit hole of more parts/money thrown at a problem when you state you don't have that at this moment of time.

Might want to read through this;
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507

I've read some forums recently that with this exact board a few people had set up the Hyper M.2 card without issue as the AsRock B450M Pro4 does support PCIe bifurcation, but only for the top slot, which is unfortunate to say the least. That and the SLI style sandwich of my GPU and the Asus Hyper card wouldn't be too great for either thermals due to the motherboard layout.

Well, then I'd likely have to get another 512GB SATA M.2 SSD as with everything currently installed, without games, I use up 250GB of storage on the OS drive. Kind of already in that rabbit hole as I tend to jump in them while trying to maximize performance as I know I will upgrade at one point and will kick myself for not buying the best Price to Performance SSD and etc, but also not spend a lot of money to the point where all I have to eat is a cabbage head through to the next month. That and the thoughts of possibly using the card in the future for a RAID array might be a nightmarish headache fun I'd indulge in, might have to put that off and just buy the SATA SSD for now.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Reliability. NVMe's fail much more than sata ssd's.

I mean, backblaze states otherwise, though it's not direct apples to apples comparison. Through general knowledge I can take away that it more so depends on the brand and model than realistically anything else, interface doesn't really matter if the NAND is the same.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
"Form factors: All of the drives listed above are the standard 2.5” form factor, except the Dell (DELLVOSS VD) and Micron (MTFDDAV240TCB) models each of which are the M.2 form factor. "

All SATA III drives, including the Dell and Micron.
They just happen to be in the M.2 format.

No NVMe in sight.

That's why I said not really apples to apples comparison.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
If your case will allow and now that you've been weighing options(albeit with some stipulations) maybe just jump onto the B550 chipset with an ATX board that has more than 1 NVMe option. I noticed another thread whereby you went with a Ryzen 5000 series processor. If you did want the most out of that chip, then DDr403600Mhz and B550 is the route to take...you then open up the door to storage options.

That's how I'd have approached the issue at least. If I had no funds, then I'd bite into my tongue, save the funds up for a proper build from the ground up. If you're in need of a drive for your gaming library, just pick any SSD off the shelf that's SATA based.

Funny enough on the CPU part, cousin surprised me when I was looking to buy the R5 5600 by giving me his old 3700X as he upgraded to a 5800X3D, so not really looking in to upgrading CPU this time, also I did state that X570 and B550 boards cost pretty much the same and more for the B550 often enough due the X570's being older. Generally, I might look in to your advice on upgrading the motherboard as it seems to be the best case and pretty doable for me given a month or two. Thank you!

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
However, your statement of "Reliability. NVMe's fail much more than sata ssd's. ", was not supported in any way by the BackBlaze link you presented.

There were exactly zero NVMe drives in that report.

I wasn't the one who said NVME SSD's failure rate is higher than that of SATA SSD's, that was the other guy xDDD

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
In that case, if you have the 3000 series processor, I wouldn't bother with the B550 chipset(or faster rams). Would scrub any ideas for a platform upgrade and hold off till another generation comes around or maybe when things are more affordable with DDR5 platforms.

Hmmm, well, might as well then. Was pretty much set apart from the running out of storage part, guess I'll just have to deal with it for now. Still, thank you a lot!

Reactions: Lutfij

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
So @randyh121 ....any verifiable data to back this up?
I've been working at a computer repair shop for 2 years, I know for a fact its true as 90% of all failed ssd's we got were nvme's. sata ssd's had a much, much lower failure rate with only 10% of the failed ssd's coming in being sata.
These sata ssd's have been around much longer on the market but they are still lasting way longer than the nvme's.

Hello everyone,

I'll preface this by saying that I'll be using the NVMe drives for frequent large file transfer for gaming and editing,
And no, I wouldn't like to upgrade my motherboard cause at that point I'd just jump platform in to X670E and that entire platform swap is gonna cost way too much for what I'm trying to do here.
That and SATA SSD prices for 2TB drives are very close to that of M.2 ones, so I don't see any realistic reason I should sacrifice the speed for it, aside from this,

I've been meaning to upgrade and expand my storage for a while now and primarily looking to move to more NVMe SSD's and leave my current HDD's as backup drives.
I currently use a Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB drive as my OS and smaller game drive and it's not really cutting it for me, I also run 1 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM HDD and 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200RPM HDD, mainly for multi layer backup, game storage and large file storage.

I'm running an AsRock B450M Pro4 motherboard and Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, the main issue I have right now is concerns on compatibility with my motherboard and the card, and that if I wanted to expand my storage without buying the card, I'd have to buy a SATA M.2 drive as my motherboard only has 2 M.2 slots, and those, funny enough, are about the same price as an NVMe one where I live, so I'm looking in to getting the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 V2 (Still don't know if I should grab the Gen4 version for the long term as it is an older design it seems.), V2 model costs around 50 Euros and Gen4 model costs about 80 Euros.

For now I'm looking to replacing my current Adata 512GB SSD with a WD SN770 2TB and put the 512GB SSD in to the Hyper M.2, I am possibly looking in to making a RAID array in the future, but as for now, I wouldn't mind spending a little extra on the card as it might prove useful for future projects as well, main concern for me now is the PCIe bifurcation part, as my motherboard doesn't support it. Though I have heard that you can use the card with 1-2 SSD's without much issue, so I still have hope.

Thank you all in advance!
Maybe.....get a small sata m.2 for the OS and apps.
Use the 512GB nvme ssd for games.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Maybe.....get a small sata m.2 for the OS and apps.
Use the 512GB nvme ssd for games.

That would be great if I didn't have a 600GB+ Steamlibrary that I actively use xDD.
That and editing and work with AutoCAD fares better with an SSD, takes up quite a bit of space too.

Tbh, I think I'll just upgrade from the Adata SX8200 Pro 512GB to something like a 980 Pro 2TB and keep the Adata for a later project, as I might be working on one soon that'll require it.

randyh121

Prominent
Jan 3, 2023
So....

No brands, no links, no independent numbers.
Just your whole "2 years" of experience.

OK, got it.

To be believable, claims like this really need some verifiable information.
Seeing it myself with my own many years of hands on experience seeing these drives failing is just seeing reality.
I dont need to write it down on some excel spreadsheet and that somehow makes it 'verifiable information'
believe whatever you want I'm just going to trust what I see with these horrible nvme failure rates