COMPATIBILITY ISSUE INTEL DESKTOP BOARD 975BX2

kflor

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi,
I'm just writing down my experience of Intel Desktop Board 975BX2
with Nvidia 8800 GTX.
I've replaced my ATI 1800XL with POV 8800 GTX. After that, the onboard Sigmatel sound (sonic) could not load!. Placing back the ATI 1800XL everything works fine! Graphics work OK.
Today I've tryed to install a Gainward 8800GTX. The system hangs when it tries to read the hard disk. Graphics don't work. Again placing back the ATI 1800XL everything works fine!
I have to note that placing each 8800GTX to Asus A8N-SLI Board everything is working fine!
Don't buy Intel Desktop Board 975BX2 if you plan to Install a 8800GTX!!!

core2drew

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
first off, welcome to the forums.

secondly, maybe you wanna do a little more work on getting the problem fixed before you warn people not to buy a bad axe 2.

i'm currently running a d975xbx2 and an evga 8800gtx, and everything flawlessly.

although it's a pain, have you tried reinstalling windows? seeing as you're going from an ATI card to an Nvidia card, this could create some issues.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Before doing a Windows install I'd delete the ATI drivers and any software that came with the card and then install the nVidia card, sounds like a driver conflict. If that doesn't work, I'd do a clean, i.e., format the drive, install of Windows

Nomans63

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
I'm wondering whether you have followed the procedure described by NVIDIA (the last paragraph) when replacing your video card:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

If you don't, there may be some "leftover" from the ATI driver that could cause problems as pointed out by core2drew.

I don't have this kind of problem because I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP on the "Bad Axe 2" with the XFX 8800GTX and my system performs flawlessly. The Intel D975XBX2 board has some limited capabilities in terms of overclocking, but I don't think it has "compatibility" issues with any video card, at least I've never heard of any board has problem with a PCI-E video card of particular GPU.

kflor

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
Hi,
with Nvidia 8800 GTX.
I've replaced my ATI 1800XL with POV 8800 GTX. After that, the onboard Sigmatel sound (sonic) could not load!. Placing back the ATI 1800XL everything works fine! Graphics work OK.
Today I've tryed to install a Gainward 8800GTX. The system hangs when it tries to read the hard disk. Graphics don't work. Again placing back the ATI 1800XL everything works fine!
I have to note that placing each 8800GTX to Asus A8N-SLI Board everything is working fine!
Well I finally made it! I've flashed a new version of bios. There was a compatibility issue with 8800GTX which conflicts with the board specially when it is equipted with 3GB of RAM. It also conflicts with the on board sound card. Flashing the latest BIOS solved all the issues.
Except one case. I used a PCI audio card [Creative XFI] together with Gainward 8800GTX. The system hangs even with the new BIOS.
Thanks for your support. I hope anyone can find my experience usefull.

kflor

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007
If you look in the Intel BIOS download pages for D975XBX2 read the descriptions and you will see how many problems are coverred with a NEW BIOS!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Hi,
with Nvidia 8800 GTX.
Well I finally made it! I've flashed a new version of bios. There was a compatibility issue with 8800GTX which conflicts with the board specially when it is equipted with 3GB of RAM. It also conflicts with the on board sound card. Flashing the latest BIOS solved all the issues.
Except one case. I used a PCI audio card [Creative XFI] together with Gainward 8800GTX. The system hangs even with the new BIOS.
Thanks for your support. I hope anyone can find my experience usefull.

I was using an Audigy 2 ZS with the most recent drivers and for some reason began getting distorted audio and having problems with streaming music. I uninstalled the the sound card and all Creative software and started using the onboard sound card, which fixed the problem. Obviously not happy with Creative.