[SOLVED] Compatibility issues with upgrading

MajesticSapling

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
Hi guys,

I made a budget PC around 5 years ago and wanted to upgrade my graphics card. Since I haven't done that before I was wondering if there may be any compatibility issues in doing so. I used to have a AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card and want to upgrade to a GTX 1060 or 1050 TI. Would there be any issues with compatibility if I did so?
ComponentSelection
CPUAMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
MotherboardGigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
MemoryKingston HyperX Fury Blue 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Video CardEVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB SC GAMING Video Card
CaseNZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power SupplyCooler Master MasterWatt Lite 230V 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Kind regards,
Ben

Solution
Hi Ben,

There should be no issue at all with the upgrade, I would rather go with the 1050 Ti as the 1060 will be botllenecked by the CPU.

I didn't see any problem with the Mobo so far, only on the point where it says its PCIe 2.0 and the GPU is PCIe 3.0 but the current GPU you are using is as well PCIe 3.0 and if you didn't have any problem with it it should be fine, you can see more info about the 3.0 and 2.0 difference here here. As I said, the 1050Ti would be ideal here.

Viktor

MajesticSapling

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2014
But do you already have a GTX1060 3gb? Why would you 'upgrade' to the same card, or is that the card you are proposing to buy? If so, it should work just fine. But after that GPU upgrade, I would not put any more money into that system.

Hi Keith,

Sorry, the table is what I want to upgrade to. I'm currently with the AMD Radeon R9 270X and want to upgrade it to either the 1050 ti or 1060. I was just wondering if those cards would be fine to run with my mobo, cpu, etc?

Ben

ViktorHX

Commendable
Nov 24, 2019
Hi Ben,

There should be no issue at all with the upgrade, I would rather go with the 1050 Ti as the 1060 will be botllenecked by the CPU.

I didn't see any problem with the Mobo so far, only on the point where it says its PCIe 2.0 and the GPU is PCIe 3.0 but the current GPU you are using is as well PCIe 3.0 and if you didn't have any problem with it it should be fine, you can see more info about the 3.0 and 2.0 difference here here. As I said, the 1050Ti would be ideal here.

Viktor

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Solution
Hi Keith,

Sorry, the table is what I want to upgrade to. I'm currently with the AMD Radeon R9 270X and want to upgrade it to either the 1050 ti or 1060. I was just wondering if those cards would be fine to run with my mobo, cpu, etc?

Ben

Yes, will be fine as Viktor has also said.

Would agree with Viktor for the most part on the point of CPU bottleneck, but if the price difference was close then the 1060 3gb even though has less vram, it is the faster card. Your CPU won't bottleneck all games, just some. So if the price was negligible, i'd go with the 1060. Cos some games will still benefit from the much faster 1060.