[SOLVED] Compatibility, Matching -- Have 16GB, want to add 16GB more

matmcnic

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2014
Hi --

I have a 16GB kit (2x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3000 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL15 BL2K8G30C15U4B) purchased back in March 2020. (in a B360 motherboard with an i5 9400f)

I'd like to add another 16GB.
I can buy the exact same part number (BL2K8G30C15U4B), but I've read there can be problems even when mixing within the same part number (subtle changes by the manufacturer, etc.).

I hate to have to waste the 16GB I have now and spend the extra money on a 32GB kit if I don't need to.

Does anyone have experience with Crucial Ballistix and adding another kit like I want to? Is it OK to add another BL2K8G30C15U4B kit or do I really need to buy a separate 32GB kit?

Thank you!

Solution
There is high chance that it will work if you buy the same kit, BUT there is really small chance that it wont, for the reasons you also mentioned.
I think it will 99,9% work, and hey, worst case scenario it doesnt work and you can return the kit that you bought.
There is high chance that it will work if you buy the same kit, BUT there is really small chance that it wont, for the reasons you also mentioned.
I think it will 99,9% work, and hey, worst case scenario it doesnt work and you can return the kit that you bought.

Reactions: matmcnic
Solution