Compatibility of Motherboard change-out

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
Hi I am looking to replace my outdated AM2 MB with an AM3. I am curious if anyone can help me understand a few things before I do so. I am new to the hardware end of PC building but I have changed the PSU added a graphics card and have swithed out CPU's I have never attempted an MB switchout. My biggest concern is compatibility to the parts that are in my PC already. The harddrives are SATA and it is running Windows 7. What do I need to be concerned about as far as a switchout? Am I good with any MB as long as it is SATA? also would I need to puchase a copy of windows for the new MB or is that info stored on my harddrive? I know I would need to purchase DDR3 memory also. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
From experience with both of the brands, I'd pick either one. I generally buy Asus first, but I've had a Gigabyte Amd board that I liked. With that general budget, you might look at buying an Intel setup with an H97 chipset m/b(70'ish dollars) and an i3(100 dollars or so).
I think the issue you'll have is your Cpu might not be compatible with DDR3. What Cpu are you running now? Generally, if you are using a Cpu and DDR2(sounds like it), it isn't compatible with DDR3.

Otherwise, the OS is stored on your HDD, but, when you do a motherboard swap you are generally better off backing up and wiping/reinstalling the OS. It can get mess if you don't(odd errors and the like).

Most likely what you'll need is a full upgrade. Cpu, Motherboard and Ram. Right now I'd wait because the new AMD offerings aren't too far into the future, and the current products aren't really worth buying now. Most times Intel makes more sense when doing a major upgrade like this.

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
I currently have a Athlon 64x2 in it but I also have a few other processors I have tried in it. I have basically turned a very simple Compaq Presario into a low end gaming machine. I am using it solely for running emulators and all my web surfing. The issue I am having is that I can't get the speed I need to run Dolphin or PCSX2 out of an AM2 processor. HP specs are funny because they say its an AM2+ socket but in the same sentence say its a 940 pin ONLY. Which by my understanding is completely contradictory. As far as my major gaming I do that on my PS4. I would like to build myself a rig from the ground up in the future but for now am just trying to get into a quad-core at around 3.6ghz which I can do with a Phenom II processor. An mb switchout would be the cheapest and easiest solution in my opinion. My windows came loaded on this PC so a reload is out of the question and as I said I know I would need to purchase new RAM. I guess my biggest concern is making sure my harddrives are compatible with the new board and hoping my OS runs properly. Other than that though should it be as simple as unplug the current board and install the new one? Maybe purchase a new version of Windows?

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016

JonnyLo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2016
And that's my dilemma.. the only 2 phenom ii cpu that are am2+ and have a 3.0 quad core are both 125 watts my board is 95. That being said I have been looking at a Gigabyte GA-78LMT or an ASUS M5A97 LE board..any experience with either of these? I can get either one for between $50-100 I plan to pair it with G.Skill Ripjaw RAM and a FX 6300 cpu. Hopefully I can switch out without too many issues or I will have to wipe back to factory (which is an option) to let windows update accordingly. All my emulators are stored on external drives anyway :) any input would be appreciated! THANKS!

From experience with both of the brands, I'd pick either one. I generally buy Asus first, but I've had a Gigabyte Amd board that I liked. With that general budget, you might look at buying an Intel setup with an H97 chipset m/b(70'ish dollars) and an i3(100 dollars or so).

Solution