[SOLVED] Compatibility of my CPU

Emircan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
Hey everyone,

I'm currently using a low-medium PC in which I play games, such as Apex, LoL, CSGO and bunch of others. I'm slowly upgrading my parts to achieve better performances in my games, and now I wish to upgrade my GPU but I don't really know anything about the compatibility of PC parts. I'm using a AMD fx 8350 eight-core processor as CPU and a GTX 1050 2GB as GPU. From what I can understand, my current GPU is not very handy about running games smoothly. My budget is about 300$. I'm asking you; what GPU I can buy that is both in my budget and compatible with my CPU?

Solution
If you have a 500 Watt power supply, get the 8 GB RX 580. It will work well with your processor.

You can then take advantage of AMD freesync technology for a better gaming experience.

However if your power supply is b/w 400 and 500, then I'd recommend to get a 6 GB GTX 1660.

If your monitor only has a DVI-D port then look for a GPU that has the DVI-D port too, otherwise you'll need to buy an adapter to convert digital signals to analog.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately the FX8350 is an outdated chipset, and will likely not keep up with many modern GPUs.

However you could maybe jump to something like an RX580. You likely won't reach the $300 budget without severely limiting the 8350.

This would obviously depend on your PSU also.

Sagar_20

Distinguished
If you have a 500 Watt power supply, get the 8 GB RX 580. It will work well with your processor.

You can then take advantage of AMD freesync technology for a better gaming experience.

However if your power supply is b/w 400 and 500, then I'd recommend to get a 6 GB GTX 1660.

If your monitor only has a DVI-D port then look for a GPU that has the DVI-D port too, otherwise you'll need to buy an adapter to convert digital signals to analog.

Solution

Emircan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016

It has to be a decent power supply... wattage means nothing if the PSU is poor quality.
Thank you all for the replies,

This is the final upgrade of my system so instead of saving, I'm planning on going ahead and buying this GPU. But I understand your "you CPU is outdated" point. So, this AMD RX 580 looks solid enough for me, and both GPU and CPU being AMD does increase the overall performance, I assume? The thing is, I don't know anything about my power supply, can you tell me how I can acquire the knowledge about it? Can I find it in my software, or must I open inside my case to find information?

What motherboard do you have? There are many that struggle to run 125w FX CPU’s like yours under high load. If you have one of these motherboards it’s possible your cpu runs ok now because the 1050 cannot put the cpu under too much load but upgrading to a stronger gpu will put more load on the cpu. I have seen this scenario come up several times here.

Emircan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
What motherboard do you have? There are many that struggle to run 125w FX CPU’s like yours under high load. If you have one of these motherboards it’s possible your cpu runs ok now because the 1050 cannot put the cpu under too much load but upgrading to a stronger gpu will put more load on the cpu. I have seen this scenario come up several times here.
My motherboard is MSI 970 GAMING (MS-7693)

Emircan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
While 500w is enough quality is very important and I can’t think of a good 500w.

The cheapest I would go is the Corsair CX550 but personally I’d spend the extra on a Seasonic Focus Plus 550 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/550...sli-crossfire-single-rail-45a-120mm-fan-atx-p

Cheap psu’s and gaming pc’s are a bad and often expensive (when psu fails) combination.
I just found out that I had a power supply in my stockpile, this one:
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...-Units/cxm-series-2015-config/p/CP-9020061-NA
I think 750W is more than enough for us, no? So, now I'll go ahead and buy 8 GB RX 580 GPU for the upgrade. Thanks for everything ^^

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So, this AMD RX 580 looks solid enough for me, and both GPU and CPU being AMD does increase the overall performance, I assume?
No, this makes no difference.

Just reinforcing what sizzling and Dark Lord have already stated. Not any 500W will do, as quality is incredibly important and quality is NOT dependant on Wattage - there are plenty of very poor quality 750W+PSUs on the market.

The CXM 2015 line is decent enough, its about the lowest one could recommend that's still good enough quality. There are better PSUs, but if it's one you have to hand, then why not. You'll obviously just want to make sure it has the relevant connections for the GPU (which it should).

Then later down the line, you may find saving for a platform change will give you the best bang for your buck :)

Emircan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
As long as it is definitely that version and not the old one with the green label. The green label is poor quality.
What do you mean by 'green label'? This is the one that I installed in my case.

PZ8IoD.png

Emircan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2016
No, this makes no difference.

Just reinforcing what sizzling and Dark Lord have already stated. Not any 500W will do, as quality is incredibly important and quality is NOT dependant on Wattage - there are plenty of very poor quality 750W+PSUs on the market.

The CXM 2015 line is decent enough, its about the lowest one could recommend that's still good enough quality. There are better PSUs, but if it's one you have to hand, then why not. You'll obviously just want to make sure it has the relevant connections for the GPU (which it should).

Then later down the line, you may find saving for a platform change will give you the best bang for your buck :)
Okay then, if all my parts are compatible with each other (AMD fx 8350 eight-core processor as CPU-AMD RX 580 as GPU-MSI 970 GAMING as motherboard-and the PSU that I posted the picture of and talked about) I'll go ahead and buy the GPU. I assume I'll see the performance difference between my current GTX 1050 2GB and AMD RX 580 8GB?