[SOLVED] Compatibility of my existing PSU with MSI MPG Z390

TheCoolBeast

Honorable
May 3, 2013
I have arranged the list of components for my upgrade, you can see it in detail here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zRzLjp. As a quick summary it consists of:

- I7-9700K
- Geforce GTX 1080 TI (current build)
- MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151
- Corsair Enthusiast 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (current build)

I wanted to reuse as much as possible from my current build, although I've already had to let go of my DDR3 16GB of RAM.

Now, what worries me is that compatibility warning that PCPartPicker shows: "The MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair Enthusiast 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.".

My plan is to OC the I7-9700k upto 5GHz. Would I be impacted by the lack of that additional 4-pin connector?

Solution
How old is that power supply? It's gotta be quite old considering it's a 750watt unit that doesn't have two four pins for the CPU. I would replace it personally. As PCPartpicker says it will likely work, check your mobo manual for which side of the 8pin port to put the 4pin from your PSU in. It may impact your ability to get to 5ghz stable on your 9700k.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
How old is that power supply? It's gotta be quite old considering it's a 750watt unit that doesn't have two four pins for the CPU. I would replace it personally. As PCPartpicker says it will likely work, check your mobo manual for which side of the 8pin port to put the 4pin from your PSU in. It may impact your ability to get to 5ghz stable on your 9700k.

Solution