[SOLVED] Compatibility of new ram (2019) for oldish desktop (2013)

mr_g94

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I have a desktop from 2013 with a H87-Pro MOBO and a i7-4770, with 6GB of Corsair Dominator RAM (1333MHz), and a GeForce GTX 670 4GB Asus card.

I've been at the balancing point of using too much memory for a while now, and pretty sure it's time to upgrade to be able to multitask a few more applications in my desktop. The PC itself is running fine, even for most more modern games.
I want to buy some new memory, say 16GB (2x 8GB). I understand that if I buy something new with a higher clock speed, it'll just be reduced to perform at the same clock speed as my MOBO capability (1600 MHz), but that's fine. I see an advantage in buy memory now that could be used for a future system should I decide to upgrade other components.

The specified memory the MOBO can take is 4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 1600MHz. I've found the lastest QVL summary from Asus, from May 2016, however this is quite old relative to newer memory modules that one can purchase.

For example, this G.Skill memory is quite cheap, but I'm not sure if it'll be compatible with my MOBO .
Is there any clear way to be able to know if a couple new sticks of memory will be compatible with an old chipset/board?

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited: