[SOLVED] Compatibility of RAM to my specs

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Hi guys im planning to build my rig my current specs at mind is:

B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
GTX 1060 3gb OC

Question is does my choice of RAM will be compatible to my specs? Any inputs about the diff?

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3000mhz 2 x 8gb CL15 1.35v pn: CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

or

Kingston Hyper X Predator RGB 3200mhz 2 x 8gb CL16 1.35v pn: HX432C16PB3AK2/16

or

Patriot Viper RGB, Black 3000mhz 2 x 8gb CL15 1.2v pn: PVR416G300C5K

2nd question is if I run my ram with this board will it run at exactly the same mhz or do i need to configure it?

3rd question would it be better if I make it as 1x 16gb or 2x 8gb is there a performance difference If I made it that way?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
The Corsair sticks are CL (CAS latency) 15 while the other two kits are CL16 sticks. Being as this is a Ryzen build, and Ryzen prefers even numbered timings, I'd recommend going with the Kingston kit in this case. Those sticks should be fine.
2 x8GB will give you dual channel operation. Using only one stick will not. You don't want to leave the added performance of dual channel operation on the table by only using a single stick. So yes, two 8GB sticks is a better option by far. Make sure to get them together in ONE kit, not separately.

All of those memory modules should work with that configuration, but the information you listed doesn't really tell us much about the properties of the sticks themselves. We'd need the actual memory kit model or part number to know that.

For example. A 3000mhz kit of CL14 memory is probably going to be faster than a 3200mhz kit of CL16 or 18 memory.

In general, the Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks are probably the better of those three sets, but it depends on WHICH kit it is.

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
2 x8GB will give you dual channel operation. Using only one stick will not. You don't want to leave the added performance of dual channel operation on the table by only using a single stick. So yes, two 8GB sticks is a better option by far. Make sure to get them together in ONE kit, not separately.

All of those memory modules should work with that configuration, but the information you listed doesn't really tell us much about the properties of the sticks themselves. We'd need the actual memory kit model or part number to know that.

For example. A 3000mhz kit of CL14 memory is probably going to be faster than a 3200mhz kit of CL16 or 18 memory.

In general, the Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks are probably the better of those three sets, but it depends on WHICH kit it is.
What do you mean by to get them together in ONE kit? -- Sorry do you mean buy them in bundle?

Btw I edited my original post hope it is okay. Thanks

I mean, not in two kits. A kit is basically the blister pack that the memory comes in. Getting two identical sticks that come in two separate blister packs is not the same as getting two sticks that both come in the same blister pack, because they will have been factory tested to be compatible with each other and separately purchased sticks, even if they are the exact same part or model number, will not have been. Two sticks of RAM with the same model that did not come together, have no guarantee of working when both are installed. Only when the memory comes together in ONE kit, are they all guaranteed to be compatible.

You still didn't provide a listing of the model numbers of the three memory kits that you are looking at. They should be listed right there in the specs on whatever site you are looking to buy them from.

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I mean, not in two kits. A kit is basically the blister pack that the memory comes in. Getting two identical sticks that come in two separate blister packs is not the same as getting two sticks that both come in the same blister pack, because they will have been factory tested to be compatible with each other and separately purchased sticks, even if they are the exact same part or model number, will not have been. Two sticks of RAM with the same model that did not come together, have no guarantee of working when both are installed. Only when the memory comes together in ONE kit, are they all guaranteed to be compatible.

You still didn't provide a listing of the model numbers of the three memory kits that you are looking at. They should be listed right there in the specs on whatever site you are looking to buy them from.
Sorry mate thats the all info listed in the shop I am looking at PN, CL#, together with volts. Really? I didn't know that it got a chance that it will not work. So if I buy them separately (because sometimes the shop is out of stock with 2pcs and only sell 1pc.) there will be a chance that it will not compatible? Does the chance of it not being compatible is high?

For the speeds of the kits you are looking at, yes, the chances are moderately high. For sticks that are below maybe 2666mhz, which is the extend of the standard JEDEC profile range, the chances are much higher that mixed memory will work ok together, but there is ALWAYS a chance when the sticks are not factory tested and sent out in the same package. For sticks higher than 2666mhz, you begin to enter an area that is beyond the JEDEC specifications, and any differences between sticks when it comes to primary, secondary or tertiary timings and voltage requirements, start to become magnified, and the probability that you will run into issues becomes much more prevalent.

Additionally, the more STICKS there are, as in, three or four, vs two, the more the chances go up that something is not going to want to play nice together.

For me, if the shop couldn't provide me with a kit part number or model number, and a set of sticks that came from the factory together in one kit, I'd pass and look elsewhere unless it was the only place I could possibly get the memory from within a distance that I could reasonably travel to.

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
For the speeds of the kits you are looking at, yes, the chances are moderately high. For sticks that are below maybe 2666mhz, which is the extend of the standard JEDEC profile range, the chances are much higher that mixed memory will work ok together, but there is ALWAYS a chance when the sticks are not factory tested and sent out in the same package. For sticks higher than 2666mhz, you begin to enter an area that is beyond the JEDEC specifications, and any differences between sticks when it comes to primary, secondary or tertiary timings and voltage requirements, start to become magnified, and the probability that you will run into issues becomes much more prevalent.

Additionally, the more STICKS there are, as in, three or four, vs two, the more the chances go up that something is not going to want to play nice together.

For me, if the shop couldn't provide me with a kit part number or model number, and a set of sticks that came from the factory together in one kit, I'd pass and look elsewhere unless it was the only place I could possibly get the memory from within a distance that I could reasonably travel to.
Is the pn and part number the same? I edited it on my original post though. So does it really affect hugely the performance or gameplay if it doesnt work together like to the extent it will not work anymore?

The Corsair sticks are CL (CAS latency) 15 while the other two kits are CL16 sticks. Being as this is a Ryzen build, and Ryzen prefers even numbered timings, I'd recommend going with the Kingston kit in this case. Those sticks should be fine.

Solution

iCeMhaN

Commendable
May 2, 2017
Thank you, one more thing if I buy the 3200mhz when I plug it will it run really at 3200mhz or do I need to configure it? Any idea what mhz will it run?

You will need to go into the BIOS and enable/select the XMP profile for the memory.

It is almost never an automatic process BUT with a newer board and 3rd gen Ryzen CPU, I've read that in SOME cases it may actually automatically default to that speed so you'll just have to see. If it doesn't, then you can simply enable the XMP memory profile in the BIOS.