[SOLVED] Compatibility problem? G.SKILL tridentZ RGB 3466mhz

Aug 28, 2020
Motherboard: ASUS TUF B360-plus gaming
CPU: i7-9700k
Memory model: F4-3466C16D-16GTZR (2x8GB c16 3466mhz)

My plan is to get the TUF z390-pro motherboard in the future to be able to OC the memories. Now I got the memories first and the motherboard doesn't boot with one of the sticks.
Now I wonder, is the problem with the memory, or is it because of the motherboard incompatibility with these memories?

One of the sticks works just fine. I mean it boots. But the other one doesn't. I tried setting voltage and frequency manually and it didn't help.

I can buy the z390 motherboard if it's because of the incompatibility. Just wanted to know is that even possible?
I think the memories are ok because this kit came with a lifetime warranty but wanted to get a second opinion on the situation.
Also, the memory is not listed on the QVL of the motherboard and the motherboard is not listed on the QVL of the memory.

Please share your suggestions. Thanks.

PS. the bios is up to date. Tried resetting CMOS etc.

Solution
I would say one stick of your memory is faulty as you describe.
You have other issues however and that is your CPU supports up to 2666MHz so the IMC may not allow for 3466MHz. Also there would be no XMP profile for easy Overclocking.
The system would default to a lower frequency than rated and Timings and voltage would have to be entered manually in Bios. There is also no guarantee they will reach their rated frequency.
Best is to return what you have and get a kit the size you require as a single kit, the frequency the CPU and MB support selected from the MB QVL.
well if one stick works an the other doesnt the i would say that the ram works for that motherboard. You need to RMA the ram to G.skill or exchange it with the store you bought it from for a working kit.

Do to the limitations of the motherboard that ram should run at a max speed of 2666Mhz, with the good single stick that is working does that show correctly in the bios?

Aug 28, 2020
It does show up 2133mhz detected speed and it boots with 2133 in Auto settings. But it sets to 2666mhz in the settings after enabling the "XMP" profile. Shouldn't it show 2666mhz regardless of the settings?

I would say one stick of your memory is faulty as you describe.
You have other issues however and that is your CPU supports up to 2666MHz so the IMC may not allow for 3466MHz. Also there would be no XMP profile for easy Overclocking.
The system would default to a lower frequency than rated and Timings and voltage would have to be entered manually in Bios. There is also no guarantee they will reach their rated frequency.
Best is to return what you have and get a kit the size you require as a single kit, the frequency the CPU and MB support selected from the MB QVL.

Solution
Aug 28, 2020
My CPU is 9700K, so it should support up to 4133mhz? The motherboard is the only thing that prevents overclocking but it does allow changing timings, voltage, etc. The reason I bought this kit was to lower the timing to c12 or c13 and use the lower frequency for now until I upgrade my motherboard. I have seen people use this kit with lower timing and frequency so that was the reason. But it didn't work out as I planned.

I guess I have to test the RAMs somewhere else. I think I can find a local shop to do so. I guess you are right and one of the sticks is faulty but wouldn't hurt confirming it with an "officially" supported motherboard.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
QUOTE="edward15, post: 22361266, member: 2839144"]
My CPU is 9700K, so it should support up to 4133mhz?
[/QUOTE]
WRONG Here are your specs: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...9700k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html
Check your memory type!!!

Also neither does your MB!!!

Last edited:
In order to fully use the ram to the 3466Mhz you will need to upgrade you motherboard to a Z baord.

Your cpu allows it, the ram is ratted for it, but the B360 limits you to 2666Mhz.

If you cant get one of the sticks of ram to boot by its self in any slot then its a bad stick and you need to return the kit to the store or RMA it with G.skill for replacement.

Aug 28, 2020
Update on this:
One of the RAM sticks was faulty as you guys said and I got the kit replaced. I also got a gigabyte z390 motherboard. I could run this kit at 3600mhz c16 without voltage change. The problem is solved.

Also, this might be useful for someone:
The RGB on gigabyte is trash. Stay away from the gigabyte motherboards if you want RGB. I already miss my Asus motherboard for the sake of RGB. The difference is like night and day.