[SOLVED] Compatibility question

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Hi guys.

I am a bit clueless regarding PC components and was hoping somebody could help me out with a compatibility question. I have a pretty old PC and would like to buy a new GPU in order to play some games casually but I'm struggling to figure out what cards would work and give me results as there is so much variety and information out there! My components are as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-MX
Processor: i5-2320 3.0GHz 4-core
8GB RAM

Would a gtx960 / gtx750 work with this setup? I have seen conflicting information on the subject.

Alternatively, if anybody could recomend a low-mid priced GPU which may suit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Dave

Solution
Hi guys.

I am a bit clueless regarding PC components and was hoping somebody could help me out with a compatibility question. I have a pretty old PC and would like to buy a new GPU in order to play some games casually but I'm struggling to figure out what cards would work and give me results as there is so much variety and information out there! My components are as follows:

8GB RAM

Would a gtx960 / gtx750 work with this setup? I have seen conflicting information on the subject.

Alternatively, if anybody could recomend a low-mid priced GPU which may suit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Dave

Hi- so no problem running any graphics on that...
Hi guys.

8GB RAM

Many thanks in advance,
Dave

Hi- so no problem running any graphics on that board- it has a PCIe x 16 slot.

In terms of what board to pair with that cpu, those are both sensible choices performance wise, depending on what they cost you.

If you want to look at something more modern, the AMD RX 560 and GT 1030 cards are similar performance and both fairly low power consumption so should work with most power supplies. What PSU do you have out of interest? If it's reasonable you might be able to go for something a bit faster, a 4gb RX570 is a really powerful card and they don't actually cost that much more, but it does require a 6 pin power connector from the power supply (which some cheaper units don't offer).

Reactions: DaveClydesdale
Solution

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Hi- so no problem running any graphics on that board- it has a PCIe x 16 slot.

In terms of what board to pair with that cpu, those are both sensible choices performance wise, depending on what they cost you.

If you want to look at something more modern, the AMD RX 560 and GT 1030 cards are similar performance and both fairly low power consumption so should work with most power supplies. What PSU do you have out of interest? If it's reasonable you might be able to go for something a bit faster, a 4gb RX570 is a really powerful card and they don't actually cost that much more, but it does require a 6 pin power connector from the power supply (which some cheaper units don't offer).

Hi!

Thanks so much for your swift and detailed response!

Regarding the PSU I have no idea but I will check that when I get home this evening, I would imagine that it is not particularly powerful. Given the likelihood of my PSU being pretty mediocre, the RX 560 seems to be an excellent option.

Having spoken to a friend, I am also considering picking up a used i5-4670 3.4GHz which I have spotted in a local shop in order to boost the processing power a bit. Any thoughts on that idea?

Many thanks,
Dave

Hi!

Thanks so much for your swift and detailed response!

Regarding the PSU I have no idea but I will check that when I get home this evening, I would imagine that it is not particularly powerful. Given the likelihood of my PSU being pretty mediocre, the RX 560 seems to be an excellent option.

Having spoken to a friend, I am also considering picking up a used i5-4670 3.4GHz which I have spotted in a local shop in order to boost the processing power a bit. Any thoughts on that idea?

Many thanks,
Dave

The only issue you will have is that you cannot drop a 4000 series part into the same motherboard as a 2000 series cpu, so you would need a new motherboard as well.

If you want a quick and easy cpu upgrade, have a look at this:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61MX/HelpDesk_CPU/

That is the list of compatible cpu's for your board- a second hand Core i7 2600 or i7 3770 would both be big improvements over your current i5. I don't think switching to a higher model i5 would be a big enough improvement to be worth it though.

Edit: Just a quick side note- if you look at that list you will see there is a column for 'validated since Bios'. If you upgrade to a 3000 series part you will need to make sure the latest bios is installed first (there are instructions on the site of how to update the bios).

Last edited:

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
The only issue you will have is that you cannot drop a 4000 series part into the same motherboard as a 2000 series cpu, so you would need a new motherboard as well.

If you want a quick and easy cpu upgrade, have a look at this:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61MX/HelpDesk_CPU/

That is the list of compatible cpu's for your board- a second hand Core i7 2600 or i7 3770 would both be big improvements over your current i5. I don't think switching to a higher model i5 would be a big enough improvement to be worth it though.

Edit: Just a quick side note- if you look at that list you will see there is a column for 'validated since Bios'. If you upgrade to a 3000 series part you will need to make sure the latest bios is installed first (there are instructions on the site of how to update the bios).

Hi again.

You're absolutely right, I had not realised that the 4000 series are not compatible with my motherboard!

Ok, I have found a used i7-2600K so I think that I will go ahead with that. Any thoughts on what card to pair with that? I suppose that the additional power of the i7 would warrant a different GPU. This is so very complicated!!

I really can't thank you enough for your fantastic support on this matter.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi again.

You're absolutely right, I had not realised that the 4000 series are not compatible with my motherboard!

Ok, I have found a used i7-2600K so I think that I will go ahead with that. Any thoughts on what card to pair with that? I suppose that the additional power of the i7 would warrant a different GPU. This is so very complicated!!

I really can't thank you enough for your fantastic support on this matter.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

that sounds like a good plan. With respect to the graphics board, the fastest boards you can currently get that don't require external power connectors are the GTX 1050ti (although need to check as some models do require a 6 pin, GTX 1050 might be safer) or the RX 560.

The cpu would be fast enough for better cards such as GTX 1660 or RX 580, although those might not be an option without also upgrading the power supply.

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
Hi Dave,

that sounds like a good plan. With respect to the graphics board, the fastest boards you can currently get that don't require external power connectors are the GTX 1050ti (although need to check as some models do require a 6 pin, GTX 1050 might be safer) or the RX 560.

The cpu would be fast enough for better cards such as GTX 1660 or RX 580, although those might not be an option without also upgrading the power supply.

Hi again.

Ok, so I think that I will go with the i7-2600k and stick with the rx560 for now. This way I do not have to worry about upgrading the PSU and it looks like that combination will give me pretty fantastic results anyway. Would you agree?

I really am grateful for this advice, you have been such a huge help.

Cheers,
Dave

Reactions: cdrkf
Hi again.

Ok, so I think that I will go with the i7-2600k and stick with the rx560 for now. This way I do not have to worry about upgrading the PSU and it looks like that combination will give me pretty fantastic results anyway. Would you agree?

I really am grateful for this advice, you have been such a huge help.

Cheers,
Dave

It should be a big jump from where you are now.

DaveClydesdale

Commendable
Nov 6, 2019
It should be a big jump from where you are now.

Hi again.

I went with the rx560 and it runs incredibly well! I actually ended up upgrading the PSU anyway, so could have gone with a more powerful GPU, but I'm super happy with the results the rx560 has given me.

Thank you so much for your advice, it really was invaluable.

Cheers!

Reactions: cdrkf