Question Compatibility Questions (MSI Z97S Krait, Corsair Vengeance LPX, i7-4790k)

NariCS

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Title pretty much covers it.

I want to know if I can use:

• Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8) DDR4 3200Mhz
  • Intel i7-4790k

On THIS motherboard:
MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition (socket = LGA1150)
-------------------------------------

If I can't, could I please get a good plan of action in terms of upgrading. Money is not necessarily an object, just some reasonable suggestions. I'm currently running an Intel i5-4690k and Corsair Vengeance Pro (1x8) DDR3 on the same motherboard, and I need an upgrade because I am streaming, have 2 monitors, and run multiple tabs and game clients at once, and I am having some stability issues.

My goal:
Replace my CPU and RAM - I don't necessarily WANT to replace the motherboard, but if it's necessary then I can.

- More or less, I want THAT CPU and THAT RAM, so my question really originates there. Can I USE the listed CPU and the listed RAM with the above MOB, if not, I'd appreciate an explanation in compatibility and the best course of action.

Thanks so much in advance guys, you are doing god's work.

NariCS

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I see now after doing a little research that the 4790k and the LPX aren't compatible. This CPU is only capable of DDR3 RAM, so should I get a different CPU to support DDR4? If so, a suggestion for a better CPU around the same price, that's socketed in LGA1150, and can run DDR4 3200 memory is desired.

Thanks again.

NariCS

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Furthermore, I just found out that DDR4 won't work in a LGA1150 MOB, so here we are needing a COMPLETE replacement of all 3 parts to get the desired effect. - This sounds like a bitch.

Overall, SUGGESTIONS for 3 parts that synchronize well together, with GOOD power, for 700 or less for all 3, and they need to be powered by 600 or less watts - my PSU is listed below.
-MOB (must support both DDR4 and a processor that can RUN said DDR4)
-CPU (4.0ghz core clock or better, atleast 4 threads)
-MEMORY (DDR4 is a must, 3200mhz preferably)

----------------------

My PSU: Corsair CX600 (600 watt)

Thanks AGAIN haha.

Last edited: