KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I have installed in my system 2 16gb 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks with timing 16-18-18-36. It says Version 4.32. I recently bought some newer Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks that say version 3.32, and the timing is different, says it is 16-20-20-38. Would these two sticks all be compatible in the same system, and if so how would I correctly install them? What do these suttle differences mean?

Solution
The reason you should not mix RAM is due to slight variations in Latency. Essentially it's the quality of the silicon used in the chips density that can vary.

Many uninformed users attempt to combine kits with the same specs and usually due to budgetary reasons.
Sometimes it works enough to boot the system only to find later that the system unexpectantly reboots or simply shuts down.

After manufacture DIMMs are put thru a binning process to match Dimm's exactly then placed into a single kit to avoid issues.
I have installed in my system 2 16gb 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks with timing 16-18-18-36. It says Version 4.32. I recently bought some newer Corsair Vengeance Pro sticks that say version 3.32, and the timing is different, says it is 16-20-20-38. Would these two sticks all be compatible in the same system, and if so how would I correctly install them? What do these suttle differences mean?
Normally one matched pair would go into slots a2+b2.
The other pair would go into slots a1+b1.

As for will they play nice together you will find that out when you try it.

The reason you should not mix RAM is due to slight variations in Latency. Essentially it's the quality of the silicon used in the chips density that can vary.

Many uninformed users attempt to combine kits with the same specs and usually due to budgetary reasons.
Sometimes it works enough to boot the system only to find later that the system unexpectantly reboots or simply shuts down.

After manufacture DIMMs are put thru a binning process to match Dimm's exactly then placed into a single kit to avoid issues.

Solution

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015

Would it cause an issue if 16-18-18-36 was mixed with 16-20-20-38? Both kits being Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB? the 16-18-18-36 is V. 4.32 and 16-20-20-38 is V3.32. Both are 3200Mhz though.

Would it cause an issue if 16-18-18-36 was mixed with 16-20-20-38? Both kits being Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB? the 16-18-18-36 is V. 4.32 and 16-20-20-38 is V3.32. Both are 3200Mhz though.

More than likely it will cause an issue however Intel CPU's are more tolerant whereas Ryzen are more picky.

The CL indicates there is a variation in clock cycle Timings for tRAS so they are binned differently. Sometimes they will work but issues commonly arise. These issues generally occur as sudden shutdowns or unexpected reboots.

Essentially, It is how many clock cycles it takes for the RAM module to access a specific set of data in one of its columns (tRAS) and make that data available to its output pins, starting from when a memory controller tells it to.

Memory chips require time to fully execute commands. (done in nanoseconds) Executing commands too quickly can result in data corruption and system instability.
No harm would result in trying. Your system may refuse to boot or set frequency well below their rated frequency but that's all.

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
More than likely it will cause an issue however Intel CPU's are more tolerant whereas Ryzen are more picky.

The CL indicates there is a variation in clock cycle Timings for tRAS so they are binned differently. Sometimes they will work but issues commonly arise. These issues generally occur as sudden shutdowns or unexpected reboots.

Essentially, It is how many clock cycles it takes for the RAM module to access a specific set of data in one of its columns (tRAS) and make that data available to its output pins, starting from when a memory controller tells it to.

Memory chips require time to fully execute commands. (done in nanoseconds) Executing commands too quickly can result in data corruption and system instability.
No harm would result in trying. Your system may refuse to boot or set frequency well below their rated frequency but that's all.
Thank you for your time and well thought out response.