[SOLVED] Compatibility with my SSD/HDD and new computer parts

jasonzaps

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2013
I currently have a 7 year old HDD and 1 year old SSD, both of which have windows 7 installed on it and i want to add them to my new pc. I am wondering if a newer motherboard like a b450 or b550 would recognize an older OS/HDD?

Would I have to upgrade to Windows 10? I just want to keep all my files and just upgrade my other pc parts. I've read alot of people saying to do a clean install to avoid potential issues with drivers/blue screens.

Would I reinstall windows 7 or install windows 10?

Solution
I am wondering if a newer motherboard like a b450 or b550 would recognize an older OS/HDD?
What is your previous systems ? Upgrade to B450 or B550 will required windows 10, they are no longer support windows 7. And yes you need to reinstal the windows when you change the systems, to avoid compability issue.
Jul 12, 2020
I currently have a 7 year old HDD and 1 year old SSD, both of which have windows 7 installed on it and i want to add them to my new pc. I am wondering if a newer motherboard like a b450 or b550 would recognize an older OS/HDD?

Would I have to upgrade to Windows 10? I just want to keep all my files and just upgrade my other pc parts. I've read alot of people saying to do a clean install to avoid potential issues with drivers/blue screens.

Would I reinstall windows 7 or install windows 10?

You do know that MS has stopped support inc security patches for W7? W10 will use your newer hardware better (CPU features, SSD etc.)