Question Compatibilty

Oct 6, 2022
Hello, I have an asus prime a320m-e (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-A320M-E/) and i recently just bought an ssd from a local store called UMART
The ssd i had bought was a WD Green M.2 2280 240G (https://www.umart.com.au/product/western-digital-green-240gb-m-2-sata-ssd-63060).
I had installed it before but took it out due to issues that I can't explain. But i have recently got my dad to help me install it so i dont screw it up but it isnt registering right, windows can see it but cannot populate it, disk manager cant see it, and task manager hasnt got a tab for it either. Can someone tell me if I got the wrong part for my computer (my mb says it supports SATA and PCIE on the m.2 slot) I'm just not sure the part works for my mother board though

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Hi,

What do you mean when you say that 'windows can see it but cannot populate it'?

Are you able to take out the other drive and just have the SSD installed and then boot up the PC and go into the BIOS and see if it is detected?

If it is detected, you can try installing windows onto it and see if it works or not.

Oct 6, 2022
Hi,

What do you mean when you say that 'windows can see it but cannot populate it'?

Are you able to take out the other drive and just have the SSD installed and then boot up the PC and go into the BIOS and see if it is detected?

If it is detected, you can try installing windows onto it and see if it works or not.
I have tried this actually, the bios can see the drive but windows is unable to populate/format the drive to install it, it can see it in device manager but cannot populate the drive.

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
I have tried this actually, the bios can see the drive but windows is unable to populate/format the drive to install it, it can see it in device manager but cannot populate the drive.
Can you do go to Disk Management on Windows

I4X91eB.png

Follow this guide: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...artition-bbb8e185-1bda-ecd1-3465-c9728f7d7d2e

You can need to make a volume on the drive

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To insert an M.2 drive, it goes on gently at @ 45° angle, then push down on the back and insert the screw/hold-down.

In windows, hit Win-key + R. At the bar, type in Diskpart. Should open a big black box. At the prompt, type LIST DISK. Look for your 256Gb ssd. It should be there. If it's there, type SELECT DISK # (number of disk). If it did not show as Online, type DISK ONLINE. Then CONVERT MBR.
That should initialize the disk and make it visible.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Oct 6, 2022
To insert an M.2 drive, it goes on gently at @ 45° angle, then push down on the back and insert the screw/hold-down.

In windows, hit Win-key + R. At the bar, type in Diskpart. Should open a big black box. At the prompt, type LIST DISK. Look for your 256Gb ssd. It should be there. If it's there, type SELECT DISK # (number of disk). If it did not show as Online, type DISK ONLINE. Then CONVERT MBR.
That should initialize the disk and make it visible.
Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 1863 GB 398 GB

Unable to find the m.2? its installed, im gonna do something in the bios that my father sent me

Oct 6, 2022
Yeah, it's totally not. If diskpart doesn't see it, nothing will. There are a couple of ways to see if you can fix that, Google diskpart doesn't see drive.
I'm 99% sure its the motherboard, it says that the m.2 slot supports nvme or whatever and sata but i cant find out how to switch it over sadly

Oct 6, 2022
Yeah, it's totally not. If diskpart doesn't see it, nothing will. There are a couple of ways to see if you can fix that, Google diskpart doesn't see drive.
Further update, i downloaded the dashboard for Western Digital, and it says its running fine after running S.M.A.R.T Scans, so im begining to think somethings up with windows