[SOLVED] Compatible CPU Coolers Feature on PCPartpicker

Dave_2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
How do they determine which coolers are compatible? I have this case here, and it says its compatible with a Hyper Evo 212 V2 on the list of compatible coolers. The manual for this case didn't seem to include maximum cooler clearance, I only know the cases width of 195mm and I'm presuming that measurement doesn't start from where the cooler will actually be sitting. How would pcpartpicker have this large data base of compatibility on this relatively unheard of pc case? Just scared because when doing my measurements for the cooler it seemed like the Evo 212 would already just barely fit, and the V2 is a few inches taller.

in short I guess: If a component is marked as compatible with another on pcpartpicker, is that safe to trust 100%?

Solution
Only cons I have for the case is that the manual is not straightforward for first time pc builders. I had to spend more time to figure out what the manual is saying than build my pc. Another is that I thought the case would be big enough to hold a CM 212 EVO cpu cooler but the metal prongs that stick out from the cooler prevent me from fully connecting the side panel back onto the case. So the window side panel stands out slightly.

User review, Amazon.

To answer part of the question, if pcp doesn't have direct answers, they do also look at purchase orders etc. If ppl buying a pc setup including the case are also buying an Evo, general concensus is that it fits. Also pcp includes argument, if someone believes pcp's data is wrong...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Only cons I have for the case is that the manual is not straightforward for first time pc builders. I had to spend more time to figure out what the manual is saying than build my pc. Another is that I thought the case would be big enough to hold a CM 212 EVO cpu cooler but the metal prongs that stick out from the cooler prevent me from fully connecting the side panel back onto the case. So the window side panel stands out slightly.

User review, Amazon.

To answer part of the question, if pcp doesn't have direct answers, they do also look at purchase orders etc. If ppl buying a pc setup including the case are also buying an Evo, general concensus is that it fits. Also pcp includes argument, if someone believes pcp's data is wrong on a certain item, they can say so and pcp looks into the discrepancy.

The Evo is 159mm tall according to CM page, it's actually 159.4mm tall, so ppl generally round out to 160mm.

The Evo V2 is 155mm tall. According to CM.

Which could possibly entirely invalidate the above users quote, if the side panel is only kicked out 3mm. Which would give the Evo V2 1mm of clearance to close the panel, and is therefore viable / compatible.

By a hair....

Personally, I've never had much respect for the 212 series, they only gained popularity based on price years ago, a similar or better performing cooler costing 2x-3x as much and that 120mm fan afforded much better and quieter operation than the similar priced 92mm coolers. Now, for its price, it's not all that great, there are multiple coolers that are better in that range.

Edit: according to Tom's Hardware review on the V2, it's actually 158.8mm tall, almost identical to the Evo.

Last edited:
Solution

Dave_2

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
User review, Amazon.

To answer part of the question, if pcp doesn't have direct answers, they do also look at purchase orders etc. If ppl buying a pc setup including the case are also buying an Evo, general concensus is that it fits. Also pcp includes argument, if someone believes pcp's data is wrong on a certain item, they can say so and pcp looks into the discrepancy.

The Evo is 159mm tall according to CM page, it's actually 159.4mm tall, so ppl generally round out to 160mm.

The Evo V2 is 155mm tall. According to CM.

Which could possibly entirely invalidate the above users quote, if the side panel is only kicked out 3mm. Which would give the Evo V2 1mm of clearance to close the panel, and is therefore viable / compatible.

By a hair....

Personally, I've never had much respect for the 212 series, they only gained popularity based on price years ago, a similar or better performing cooler costing 2x-3x as much and that 120mm fan afforded much better and quieter operation than the similar priced 92mm coolers. Now, for its price, it's not all that great, there are multiple coolers that are better in that range.

Edit: according to Tom's Hardware review on the V2, it's actually 158.8mm tall, almost identical to the Evo.
aw man, I got confused because on amazon it says the Evo is 11.9cm tall, I think they are just measuring it a different way. Thank you for the answer. Do you know any good coolers that are less tall mayhaps..?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You didn't get confused, they did.

Item dimensions L x W x H
7.9 x 16 x 11.9 centimeters

It should have read length being front to back, width being side to side and height being top to bottom.

L=7.9 x W=12 x H=16 centimeters.

A 120mm fan is not 11.9cm in any direction.