Question Compatible CPU for MSI G31 socket 775

Apr 17, 2019
Hi all! I am trying to upgrade an old computer for my son, It's an MSI G31 with a 775 socket, I just bought a new Intel Core Quad 2.83 Ghz cpu but it wont get past the post screen...just wondering if it is compatible with the mobo?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
To clarify, it's a Core 2 Quad right?
Also, can you tell us the exact CPU model?

If it is the Core 2 Quad Q9650 it should be fine.

If any other CPU, probably needs a different socket.

Follow this link for reference as to what CPU's work on 775 socket
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket 775 (LGA775).html

And if it's not a CPU that is for that socket, then let this be a lesson to do research on what CPU's are supported by a socket before buying anything

Apr 17, 2019
To clarify, it's a Core 2 Quad right?
Also, can you tell us the exact CPU model?

If it is the Core 2 Quad Q9650 it should be fine.

If any other CPU, probably needs a different socket.

Follow this link for reference as to what CPU's work on 775 socket
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket 775 (LGA775).html

And if it's not a CPU that is for that socket, then let this be a lesson to do research on what CPU's are supported by a socket before buying anything
Sure, CPU is Core 2 Quad Q, 2.83Ghz, 12M

Apr 17, 2019
Yes..it's this one! So it must be something else then, maybe PSU...400W...don't know what else it could be.

Core 2 QuadYorkfieldQ95503332.8312M
Did you update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version before the swap?

Assuming This is your mobo, is the CPU you bought on the CPU support list?
I haven't updated the Bios...could that be the reason it wont post?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Q9650 should work with that board even with the very first BIOS offered. If you are testing using the iGPU, even a cheap "400W" PSU should be fine. Try breadboarding outside the case. Set the board on an insulated surface with just the CPU, cooler, PSU, 1 stick RAM, keyboard, and monitor. Start the system by monetarily shorting the two pins that the power switch would connect to. See if you can get into BIOS.

Apr 17, 2019
The Q9650 should work with that board even with the very first BIOS offered. If you are testing using the iGPU, even a cheap "400W" PSU should be fine. Try breadboarding outside the case. Set the board on an insulated surface with just the CPU, cooler, PSU, 1 stick RAM, keyboard, and monitor. Start the system by monetarily shorting the two pins that the power switch would connect to. See if you can get into BIOS.
ok. i'll give it a go. Thanks !!!!