[SOLVED] Compatible GPU for Optiplex 745 SFF

SexNTide

Prominent
Dec 6, 2020
I currently have a Optiplex 745 Small Form Factor and was wondering what is the best GPU I can put in there whislt keeping the stock 280 PSU. From what i've heard a GT 1030 low profile is the best gpu you can fit in there but from others i've heard that the GTX 1050 ti is the best you can fit in there. If that is the case, is this compitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B01N683IAQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LWA2L24OD4X8&dchild=1&keywords=gtx+1050ti&qid=1607261033&sprefix=gtx+10,aps,199&sr=8-5

Solution
You should be able to run a 1050TI/1650 GTX both stock and low profile should work. The PCIe lane maybe version 1 which limits performance but it does output 75W. The 290W supply will be stressed fairly well with either so don't expect it to last long at this point in its life.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 "best CPU supported" 105W
1050 TI "Stock settings and low profile" 75W or 1650 GTX "Stock settings and low profile" 75W

180W "CPU+GPU"
10W being from the system.
190W Total draw or 69% of a 275W supply

Power supplies degrade so something that is that old is going to be outputting between 60% to 80% of it's load so you could be looking at having a power limit of 165W to 220W of usable power.
Nov 28, 2020
As long as low profile since its SFF veteran pc like my optiplex 780 i have gt 730 and will uograde to gt 1030 this christmas
And you said the gtx 1050ti i think theyre trying to say is you still need to buy an extension pcie slot then you like gonna mod the io like cut it to make the bracket fit there OR theyre saying low profile gtx1050ti? And gtx750 ti Is extremely rare like a diamond here and same price as inno3d gt 1030

Edit: nvm i saw the link 200$ is so much for me, depends on you if you have that lot of money and i hope your cpu can handle it and wont limit your performance

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You should be able to run a 1050TI/1650 GTX both stock and low profile should work. The PCIe lane maybe version 1 which limits performance but it does output 75W. The 290W supply will be stressed fairly well with either so don't expect it to last long at this point in its life.

Core 2 Quad Q6600 "best CPU supported" 105W
1050 TI "Stock settings and low profile" 75W or 1650 GTX "Stock settings and low profile" 75W

180W "CPU+GPU"
10W being from the system.
190W Total draw or 69% of a 275W supply

Power supplies degrade so something that is that old is going to be outputting between 60% to 80% of it's load so you could be looking at having a power limit of 165W to 220W of usable power.

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
I currently have a Optiplex 745 Small Form Factor and was wondering what is the best GPU I can put in there whislt keeping the stock 280 PSU. From what i've heard a GT 1030 low profile is the best gpu you can fit in there but from others i've heard that the GTX 1050 ti is the best you can fit in there. If that is the case, is this compitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-NVIDIA-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B01N683IAQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LWA2L24OD4X8&dchild=1&keywords=gtx+1050ti&qid=1607261033&sprefix=gtx+10,aps,199&sr=8-5

Unfortunately, I think -- but am not positive as I don't have one to look at hands-on -- that you need not just a low-profile card, but a single-slot card. This one is clearly a dual-slot card (see there are two rows of connectors). Most 1050 Tis are dual-slot cards; the only ones I remember as being single-slot were a couple Zotacs and an Inno3D. As these are cards released four years ago, it's going to be a challenge finding one; you're at the mercy of whatever comes up used in secondary markets.

Is this a PC you intend to upgrade more in the future? If so, it might make sense to start investing in a proper, non-SFF case and phase out the proprietary parts.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Unfortunately, I think -- but am not positive as I don't have one to look at hands-on -- that you need not just a low-profile card, but a single-slot card. This one is clearly a dual-slot card (see there are two rows of connectors). Most 1050 Tis are dual-slot cards; the only ones I remember as being single-slot were a couple Zotacs and an Inno3D. As these are cards released four years ago, it's going to be a challenge finding one; you're at the mercy of whatever comes up used in secondary markets.

Is this a PC you intend to upgrade more in the future? If so, it might make sense to start investing in a proper, non-SFF case and phase out the proprietary parts.
You would be correct, 1050ti's single slot is hard to find but the mini can be found on eBay and will clear the CPU cooler shroud. The issue is $$$ they are way overpriced, He should be able to find a 1650 mini ITX or single slot cheaper. :unsure:

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019

dual slot card with single slot bracket would fit in this machine.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
dual slot card with single slot bracket would fit in this machine.
This is what you're looking at.
745sff.jpg

1. To run a dual-slot GPU you HAVE to remove the HDD caddy and go with SSD's.
  2. You are still limited to a certain length, around 6 inches because of that massive CPU heatsink and monster shroud.
  3. RX cards will not work "Power constraints and DOS VESA VIDEO MODE 103 errors". He is limited to a 730/750TI/1030/1050TI/1650 GTX. All either Single-slot or Mini.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
This is what you're looking at.
745sff.jpg

1. To run a dual-slot GPU you HAVE to remove the HDD caddy and go with SSD's.
  2. You are still limited to a certain length, around 6 inches because of that massive CPU heatsink and monster shroud.
  3. RX cards will not work "Power constraints and DOS VESA VIDEO MODE 103 errors". He is limited to a 730/750TI/1030/1050TI/1650 GTX. All either Single-slot or Mini.

1. is okay , moving to SSD is better anyways.
  2. it will fit.
  3. what power constraints ? RX 550 is just 50 watts GPU

TRENDING THREADS