Question compatible graphics cards

Jun 26, 2019
So I just bought a new desktop off someone and looking to upgrade my graphics cards im using a gtx 1050 right now my motherboard is a M5A78L-M/USB3 the expansion slots are 1 x PCIe x16 1 x PCIe x1 2 x PCI cpu is a amd fx 8320 eight core processor just running 8gb ram right now really into gaming obv just wondering what graphics cards this motherboard can support thanks

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
whats a much better cpu i could put in here

There isn't. It would necessitate a new motherboard and RAM as well. You may have gotten an incredible deal on these parts (hopefully), but you're still dealing with a 2012 platform that was never really very good for gaming, so you have a definite ceiling in what you can do here. It's hard enough to push what you already have; pairing a budget AM3+ motherboard with a 125W CPU is rarely a good idea.

Jun 26, 2019
There isn't. It would necessitate a new motherboard and RAM as well. You may have gotten an incredible deal on these parts (hopefully), but you're still dealing with a 2012 platform that was never really very good for gaming, so you have a definite ceiling in what you can do here. It's hard enough to push what you already have; pairing a budget AM3+ motherboard with a 125W CPU is rarely a good idea.
i only paid 350 for it all but thank you

Jun 26, 2019
At least that's not quite as bad. Used, I can't see this system being worth paying more than $250 or so, and that's assuming there's a legitimate Windows license.

But what's done is done. What is your budget for upgrades and what is your goal for this machine?
honestly i just wanna be able to run those higher end games but dont really have a budget i guess i just buy the parts if i can ever afford them but it can support up to 32 gb of ram so i was wanting to get the gtx 1080 and get 4 of the HyperX Kingston FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 if it could support it but with my parts now i dont think it can if thats what you are asking lol

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
honestly i just wanna be able to run those higher end games but dont really have a budget i guess i just buy the parts if i can ever afford them but it can support up to 32 gb of ram so i was wanting to get the gtx 1080 and get 4 of the HyperX Kingston FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 if it could support it but with my parts now i dont think it can if thats what you are asking lol

I would definitely not invest in 32 GB of RAM. A GTX 1080 is too powerful for these parts; you'll be hard-pressed to get any benefit past a 1060 and in truth, that's already a bit of a bottleneck.

If you're not upgrading the platform, the best you can wring out of these parts is probably an RX 580 and a new power supply; this can be done for about $250. You can get a little bit back selling the GTX 1050 used. I wouldn't spend any more than that and if you have more money, it should be saved up towards getting onto a more modern platform. Also, do not try overclocking; the motherboard is marginal as it is for a 125W CPU and if you start throwing in more voltage, there's a good chance at destroying the motherboard.

This will get you into being able to play most games at 1080p at some setting. You're likely to run into issues in AAA games of an open world variety, but you'll get them at least playable, generally.

Jun 26, 2019
I would definitely not invest in 32 GB of RAM. A GTX 1080 is too powerful for these parts; you'll be hard-pressed to get any benefit past a 1060 and in truth, that's already a bit of a bottleneck.

If you're not upgrading the platform, the best you can wring out of these parts is probably an RX 580 and a new power supply; this can be done for about $250. You can get a little bit back selling the GTX 1050 used. I wouldn't spend any more than that and if you have more money, it should be saved up towards getting onto a more modern platform. Also, do not try overclocking; the motherboard is marginal as it is for a 125W CPU and if you start throwing in more voltage, there's a good chance at destroying the motherboard.

This will get you into being able to play most games at 1080p at some setting. You're likely to run into issues in AAA games of an open world variety, but you'll get them at least playable, generally.
thank you very much

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $211.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-26 23:06 EDT-0400

Some good RX 580 prices out there right now. So that comes out to just over $200. Think $50 back for the GTX 1050 used or so.

If you really want to play higher-end new games without making compromises, there are lots of options for platform upgrades.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.74 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($62.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $505.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-26 23:08 EDT-0400

Jun 26, 2019
PCPartPicker Part List

Total: $211.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-26 23:06 EDT-0400

Some good RX 580 prices out there right now. So that comes out to just over $200. Think $50 back for the GTX 1050 used or so.
thank you