Question Compatible PSU upgrade for TG01-2xxx? And whats wrong with my current one?

Jul 17, 2024
So basically, i had a prebuilt TG01-2something for a year or two and decided to go for an upgrade. The PSU the thing came with was only 310 so I bought this 400W HP one from Amazon as HP seemingly didn't sell any fit, compatible PSUs. Got my new RAM, got my new PSU and was waiting for my RX6600 to arrive. With the old GPU the new PSU worked just fine but when I put in the last upgrade, the GPU, something weird started happening. The PSU (or at least I'm like 80 percent sure it is the culprit) starts making this randomly and subtly alternating electrical whirring/buzzing noise when the pc is under load (only with specific games, programs running or situations weirdly enough. Though they are incredibly plentiful anyway). I've decided it might be a good idea to return it and try to get a non-HP one but from what I'm reading, that is impossible? Maybe? I think? It's a bit confusing so that's why I'm here.

• What's wrong with the one I have now?
  • How do PSU sizes work (as in how do I know one will fit and work, both into the case itself and slot into the backplate so all the stuff like the plug, the fan and whatnot are where they are supposed to be)?
  • What should I buy or where should I look?
  • Should I be able to run my pc on the old 310W one while I'm waiting for a new one to arrive as long as I somehow "performance lock" my GPU or sumn?
  • What should i do in general about the situation?
I know that its a lot of questions but I would be very grateful for an answer to any of them. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2024
Thanks for the reply. The new 400W one is L04618-400 and the 310W was L63964-004. While i obviously haven't tried it due to the power requirements, the L63964-004 does seem to have a PCIe cable that fits and looks the exact same as the one the 400W L04618-400 has which powers the thing just fine.

Also, i know very little about coil whine aside from the basic concept. You do mean that its coming from the PSU right? Is it bad?
What do you reckon i should do?

Last edited: