[SOLVED] Compatible ram, Dell XPS 8940

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Hey guys. Still in the process of upgrading my brand new Dell XPS 8940, because I didn't like it much. :)

Anyone able to point me in the direction of 16gb of decent/compatible/decently priced RAM. (In Canada).

Thanks a lot. I can also find it myself with a few hints/tips. I just don't know where to begin is all. Is most ram compatible with most PCs?

Do I want DDR4 I'm assuming?

Thanks again!

Solution
If you check, your computer will have a service tag on it that can be used on Dell's website to give you the information you need to know what is installed and by way of cross reference what will work with it.
I haven't searched your specific model, but under the suspicion that it's Intel and DDR4, I would get whatever looks attractive to you price wise, as a set.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you check, your computer will have a service tag on it that can be used on Dell's website to give you the information you need to know what is installed and by way of cross reference what will work with it.
I haven't searched your specific model, but under the suspicion that it's Intel and DDR4, I would get whatever looks attractive to you price wise, as a set.

Solution

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020

You are very correct, I was unaware Dell provided such services with that service tag. I will get movin' and find me some ugly RAM, since all the sexy ones are $50 more....lol

No issues with cheaper RAM that you know of? That is another thing I've been curious of. There are pretty decent price gaps on Amazon, and all my new butt can tell, is that the 'prettier' ones are a lot more expensive.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are very correct, I was unaware Dell provided such services with that service tag. I will get movin' and find me some ugly RAM, since all the sexy ones are $50 more....lol

No issues with cheaper RAM that you know of? That is another thing I've been curious of. There are pretty decent price gaps on Amazon, and all my new butt can tell, is that the 'prettier' ones are a lot more expensive.

I would advise finding a brand you have heard of, but decent "value" RAM is often just missing the pretty heat spreaders.
Look for timings (latency) and speed against price.
Intel is generally VERY forgiving on RAM compatibility. I would recommend getting two match sticks if you can. Often if you look at the specific model of RAM you have now, you might find that exact model x1 somewhere cheap. Odds are good on Intel that almost whatever you do will work, if not be optimal.

Reactions: supressed