[SOLVED] Compatible ssds?

Jul 23, 2020
Hi, First time posting.. I think, But I can't seem to figure out how to tell what ssd's are compatible with my motherboard, I wanted to get a 1tb since the little 250gb I have now isn't really enough storage, My Mb is a Z270-A Pro. I think.. it may be a bit dated now

Jul 23, 2020
This motherboard?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z270-A-PRO/Specification

"Support up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s "
Basically, it will take any current M.2 NVMe drive, or any M.2 SATA III drive, or any 2.5" SATA III drive.

What is your use, budget, and size requirement?
What do you have now?
Yes! That's the one, I was specifically looking at one for gaming, My budget is.. well probably 250 usd at the most but I'd like to keep it under 200ish if possible, And size, I'd like a terabyte my current one is only 250gb and has windows on it so its almost constantly full. I wasl considering this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M64QXMN/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza but wasn't sure if it would work for me or not

For gaming, it really doesn't matter if you get a standard 2.5" SATA SSD or a PCI M.2 NVME SSD, because neither type is going to have any effect on FPS. You MIGHT see faster loading times for maps, levels, textures, etc. with an NVME drive, but for actual "gaming" the performance would be the same regardless of which type you use.

This, will game just as well as any NVME drive, and is a good high quality drive from a well respected manufacturer.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $114.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-23 18:29 EDT-0400

For other things, that aren't gaming centric, the performance will also usually be somewhat similar to a 2.5" SSD. The only time you'll see really fast reads or writes from an NVME drive is if you are reading a large sequential file, rather than a lot of smaller randome ones, or if you are writing a large sequential file or writing to another NVME drive that is also capable of similar fast speeds.

Marking as solved is as simple as reading my signature below this post.