[SOLVED] Compatible?

Oct 8, 2019
Hey everybody,

I'm just wondering if any graphics card with an AMD Radeon RX 580 chipset will be compatible with my MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate motherboard. My build was previously running with an AMD Radeon HD 7970, if this helps.

Also, I'm not sure if the RX 580 performs better than the HD 7970.

As you can tell I have the electronics knowledge of an Amish so please go easy on me. 😁

Thanks in advance!

Solution
2008_sex_drive_002.jpg

Amish you say......

To answer your questions:

1. Depends on the exact RX 580 you get that will matter and how your booting your Windows system. Some newer GPUs only have UEFI BIOS on them which means you have to have a UEFI motherboard booting in UEFI. Others have a hybrid BIOS design which allows booting on both.

2. The RX 580 will greatly outperform an HD 7970. There is about 4 generations between them and AMD has made some vast uArch improvements, especially in the 400 and 500 series, compared to Tahiti (the 7000 series).
2008_sex_drive_002.jpg

Amish you say......

To answer your questions:

1. Depends on the exact RX 580 you get that will matter and how your booting your Windows system. Some newer GPUs only have UEFI BIOS on them which means you have to have a UEFI motherboard booting in UEFI. Others have a hybrid BIOS design which allows booting on both.

2. The RX 580 will greatly outperform an HD 7970. There is about 4 generations between them and AMD has made some vast uArch improvements, especially in the 400 and 500 series, compared to Tahiti (the 7000 series).

Solution
Oct 8, 2019
Thank you both for your hasty responses, and apologies for my late follow-up.

@NightHawkRMX
I have an FSP Raider RA 650. Fingers crossed for this being sufficient as I'm leaving the rest of the build as it was before the HD 7970 died.

@jimmysmitty
Thank you so much for pointing this out; I'll sure do some more research on which RX 580 to get.

I'll be back to post more n00b questions should I have more enquiries.

Kind regards to you two!