Competition 30 ready

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>
>Tony
>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
am I mistaken?

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:

> On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>>
>>Tony
>>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>
> I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> am I mistaken?
>
> Best, Hugo

I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.


Eddie
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
news:m364z7ebo1.fsf@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com...
> Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:
>
> > On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
> >
> >>Hello All,
> >>
> >>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> >>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
> >>
> >>Tony
> >>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
> >
> > I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> > Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> > am I mistaken?
> >
> > Best, Hugo
>
> I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
> that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
> or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
>
>
Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all want me
to change that.

-Jeff
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

> Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?
>
> Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
> better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.
>
> > I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth
options
> > you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?
>
> No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
> restrictions.
>
> Timo Pietilä

If Timo sends me the updated savefile I can upload it to the web-site
(about 8pm tonight London time).

Alternately it should only take me about 20-30 minutes to download
source code, compile it and change the no quests flag on the savefile.
So if Timo says OK to that, I'll do it tonight. I didn't realise this
new flag had been added, if I had known I probably would have done it
already.

Sorry for the false start to the competition.

Tony
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

<avh@softalk.ws> wrote in message
news:1112361565.495981.140800@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?
>
> Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
> better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.
>
> > I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth
options
> > you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?
>
> No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
> restrictions.
>
> Timo Pietilä

>If Timo sends me the updated savefile I can upload it to the web-site
>(about 8pm tonight London time).

>Alternately it should only take me about 20-30 minutes to download
>source code, compile it and change the no quests flag on the >savefile.
>So if Timo says OK to that, I'll do it tonight. I didn't realise >this
>new flag had been added, if I had known I probably would have done it
>already.

FYI: I e-mailed to you and Timo the competition savefile with the
birth_no_quests & adult_no_quests option turned on. You should just have to
upload it.

-Jeff
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Hugo Kornelis wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
>
>
>>Hello All,
>>
>>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>>
>>Tony
>>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>
> I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> am I mistaken?

Problem was that I submitted my savefile before that option was
possible. Maybe I should submit another? My bad. I totally forgot to
update that savefile with newer version.

Timo Pietilä
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:10:50 -0500, "Jeff Greene"
<nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> wrote:

>
>"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
>news:m364z7ebo1.fsf@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com...
>> Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:
>>
>> > On 31 Mar 2005 11:26:21 -0800, Tony Holmes wrote:
>> >
>> >>Hello All,
>> >>
>> >>Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
>> >>Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>> >>
>> >>Tony
>> >>http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>> >
>> > I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
>> > Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
>> > am I mistaken?
>> >
>> > Best, Hugo
>>
>> I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
>> that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
>> or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
>>
>>
>Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all want me
>to change that.

Hi Jeff,

I guess that's up to Timo - it's HIS challenge, after all!

Anyway, I think I have the ability to constrain myself - with quests
enabled, you can still decide never to take one. And if I do take one,
Tony will be able to see it in the savefile. But it would be nice to
clarify if quests are forbidden or not in this competition, so that
we're all playing the same challenge.

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Jeff Greene wrote:
> "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
> news:m364z7ebo1.fsf@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com...
>
>>Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:

>>>I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
>>>Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
>>>am I mistaken?
>>
>>I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
>>that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
>>or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
>
> Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all want me
> to change that.

Which is faster :). I can do new savefile with correct settings as soon
as I get home.

Timo Pietilä
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

"Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote in message
news:d2j0pt$pnt$2@oravannahka.helsinki.fi...
> Jeff Greene wrote:
> > "Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
> > news:m364z7ebo1.fsf@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com...
> >
> >>Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:
>
> >>>I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
> >>>Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
> >>>am I mistaken?
> >>
> >>I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
> >>that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
> >>or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
> >
> > Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all
want me
> > to change that.
>
> Which is faster :). I can do new savefile with correct settings as soon
> as I get home.
>
Both are quick.....Except I think what will decide it is what time zone in
the world we live in. Since it is early morning here & I am about to head
to work & in Finland you are much closer to being done with work you will
probably get it done first.

I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth options
you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?

-Jeff
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

magnate wrote:
> Right! Where do I get a Linux version of NPP? What, you mean I have to
> compile it??
>
> CC
>

Compiling is not that hard if your Linux is well-configured
(as a normal installation of any major distro like Fedora,
Debian or SuSe should be). Quick-and-dirty single-user install:

Download the source archive to some directory, here we assume it
is ~/nppangband/

On a terminal, as normal user, give the following commands:

cd ~/nppangband
unzip NPPAng<tab> (use tab to complete the file/dirnames)
cd NPPAng<tab> (and select proper completion)
cd src
make -f Makefile.std
cp angband ..
cd ..
../angband -- -n3 & (I play with 3 terminals)

This works for almost any variant - I have used this on Vanilla, Steam,
Heng, NPP, Pos, ToME, S, O and Z. Sometimes you have to use tar -xvf,
(maybe add j or z to options), to extract the source archive and of
course names of files are different.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Jeff Greene wrote:
> "Timo Pietilä" <timo.pietila@helsinki.fi> wrote in message
> news:d2j0pt$pnt$2@oravannahka.helsinki.fi...
>
>>Jeff Greene wrote:
>>
>>>"Eddie Grove" <eddiegrove@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com> wrote in message
>>>news:m364z7ebo1.fsf@hot.NOSPAM.mail.com...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Hugo Kornelis <Angband@hugo.is_NO_dit.c_SPAM_om> writes:
>>
>>>>>I noticed that the birth option birth_no_quests is set to no - I though
>>>>>Timo's challenge was not only artifact-less, but quest-less as well? Or
>>>>>am I mistaken?
>>>>
>>>>I am guessing that it is an old savefile submitted earlier, before
>>>>that option existed. If so, perhaps Tony should change the option
>>>>or at least disable downloads until Timo checks in.
>>>
>>>Well, that is a birth option, but I can hack the savefile if you all
>
> want me
>
>>>to change that.
>>
>>Which is faster :). I can do new savefile with correct settings as soon
>>as I get home.
>
> Both are quick.....Except I think what will decide it is what time zone in
> the world we live in. Since it is early morning here & I am about to head
> to work & in Finland you are much closer to being done with work you will
> probably get it done first.

Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?

Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.

> I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth options
> you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?

No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
restrictions.

Timo Pietilä
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 1 Apr 2005 05:19:25 -0800, avh@softalk.ws wrote:

>
>> Early morning at 15:02= USA east coast?
>>
>> Except that yesterday I did 13 hour day, and today doesn't look any
>> better. :-(. If I can I do it as soon as I get out of work.
>>
>> > I will be happy to do it. I would just need to be know which birth
>options
>> > you want set to "TRUE". No quests or no artifacts as well?
>>
>> No artifacts and no quests. Hobbit rogue. Goal is to win, no other
>> restrictions.
>>
>> Timo Pietilä
>
>If Timo sends me the updated savefile I can upload it to the web-site
>(about 8pm tonight London time).
>
>Alternately it should only take me about 20-30 minutes to download
>source code, compile it and change the no quests flag on the savefile.
>So if Timo says OK to that, I'll do it tonight. I didn't realise this
>new flag had been added, if I had known I probably would have done it
>already.
>
>Sorry for the false start to the competition.
>
>Tony

Hi Tony,

Is it okay to start playing with the current savefile, but without
taking abny quests, or should I suicide my current character (only at
DLvl 3, so no big loss) and wait for the updated savefile?

Best, Hugo
--
Your sig line (k) was stolen! (more)
There is a puff of smoke!

(Remove NO and SPAM to get my e-mail address)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 31 Mar 2005 as I do recall,
Tony Holmes wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
>
> Tony
> http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp

There is now a new NPP 0.4.1 compilation for RISC OS at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband-041-riscos.zip
for competition-playing purposes. :)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

If it's not broken, don't fix it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Tony holmes wrote:

Competition 30 is now ready for download: timo's NPPAngband 0.4.1
Hobbit rogue.

OK, I finally got the latest OSX build working, but it refuses to open
the save file. It still is able to open save files from the previous
0.4.1 NPP version I was running. Is there anything I need to do to
open the new file? (It's showing up greyed out in the files list.)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
Harriet Bazley wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2005 as I do recall,
> Tony Holmes wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > Competition 30 is now ready for download. It is a NPPAngband 0.4.1
> > Hobbit Rogue submitted by Timo.
> >
> > Tony
> > http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/angband_comp
>
> There is now a new NPP 0.4.1 compilation for RISC OS at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband-041-riscos.zip
> for competition-playing purposes. :)
>
Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
(Same as on 0.4.0 version.)

Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

A man's best friend is his dogma.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
Harriet Bazley wrote:

> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>
> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC
>
Corrupt save file.

(real version is only 44144 bytes!)

--
Harriet Bazley == Loyaulte me lie ==

Equal bytes for women.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband,comp.sys.acorn.misc (More info?)

In message <3f628b574d.harriet@freeuk.com>
Harriet Bazley <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
> Harriet Bazley wrote:


> > There is now a new NPP 0.4.1 compilation for RISC OS at
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/isparp1/angband/nppangband-041-riscos.zip
> > for competition-playing purposes. :)
> >
> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>
> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC

I get a file size of 44144 bytes about one third of your file size.
I have not checked tht CRC. I suspect a problem with you downloading
the comp file. What browser are you using?

!netsurf seems to think that tthis is a html file, and your browser may
be doing something similar.


[save file sent via email]
[cross post to csa.misc and r.g.r.angband]

Martin.

--
According to the human genome project, humans are 50-60% bananas.
When emailing me, please include the word Banana in the subject line.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

I wrote:
> 0.4.1 NPP version I was running. Is there anything I need to do to
> open the new file [on OS X]? (It's showing up greyed out in the files
list.)

I moved this to a more appropriate bug report thread.

Short answer: you are out of luck playing NPP competition savefiles on
OSX without patching the UI. I'll give it a go to learn a little OS X
UI, though doubtless Rob Ruehlmann will be quicker.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

"Harriet Bazley" <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote in message
news:3f628b574d.harriet@freeuk.com...
> On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
> Harriet Bazley wrote:
>
> >
> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>
> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC
>
This message is probably caused by the player game notes not being read
properly. In the savefile, right before a check on the number of monster
races, it writes the notes file, and when loading a savefile it copies the
notes to a temporary file. If the game doesn't read the end of the notes
file properly, it probably next reads a garbage number for the number of
monster races, and gives you that error. It works on all other OSs, but I
guess RISC OS doesn't like the way the notes file is saved. I don't know
how I could de-bug this since I don't have access to a RISC OS computer.

If you generate a normal character yourself, does it read a normal savefile
correctly? It may be that the savefile was done in Windows, but other OSs
do not like how Windows writes the termination to the notes file. That
could be why the other OSs are having trouble reading the competition
savefile.

-Jeff
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Jeff Greene wrote:
> If you generate a normal character yourself, does it read a normal savefile
> correctly? It may be that the savefile was done in Windows, but other OSs
> do not like how Windows writes the termination to the notes file. That
> could be why the other OSs are having trouble reading the competition
> savefile.

I thought *band savefiles were stored in a platform-independent format?
Savefiles originating on Windows should be no different from savefiles
originating on RiscOS.

--
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
"One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

"Jeff Greene" <nppangband@spam.spam.spam.spam,> writes:

> "Harriet Bazley" <harriet@bazley.freeuk.com> wrote in message
> news:3f628b574d.harriet@freeuk.com...
>> On 6 Apr 2005 as I do recall,
>> Harriet Bazley wrote:
>>
>> >
>> Unfortunately it still won't load the competition save file,
>> the error is "Too many (2048) monster races!"
>> (Same as on 0.4.0 version.)
>>
>> Filesize is 133138 bytes, CRC value &8D94A2EC
>>
> This message is probably caused by the player game notes not being read
> properly.

You must have missed, upthread, the fact that this file is roughly
three times as large as it should be.

I have had to <shift>-click to download on Tony's site on previous
comps; simply clicking downloaded something unuseable.


Eddie
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Is it considered cheating to disable auto-scum? In NPP autoscum is
just brutal, and I generally avoid it.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.angband (More info?)

Twisted One <twisted0n3@gmail.invalid> writes:

> Eddie Grove wrote:
>> I have had to <shift>-click to download on Tony's site on previous
>> comps; simply clicking downloaded something unuseable.
>
> That's really weird. Then again, maybe it's IE being broken -- does
> the problem occur in firefox? ISTR some versions of IE ignore the mime
> type of a file and assume it's text/html if it's an unregistered
> extension (not associated with an application on your machine).

Actually, I'm using Mozilla, but other people have had problems too.
Also, I have had problems where when he changes the page my browser
doesn't figure out that the cache needs a refresh, so there is more
than one kind of weirdness going on.


Eddie