Complete AMD Rocket System

G

For the last couple of months I've been trying to decide on a new computer. Why? I'm running a Pentium Pro 200MHz dinosaur that I bought just before the Eisenhower administration. Since none of the major retailers sell what I want, I thought I would post the components I'm looking at in the hope that you guys (and gals) could take a peek and make sure I'm not combining things that will leave me with a glorified coaster from AMD:

-AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz Socket A Processor (266 MHz FSB)
-Gigabyte GA-7DX Socket A TBird Motherboard w/DDR Support
-128MB DDR266 memory 266 Mhz (I believe this is the PC2100)
-3D Blaster Annihilator 64mb Geforce2 Ultra
-Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1
-2x Maxtor 30GB U66 7200 RPM
-Samsung 12X DVD Drive
-300Watt Deluxe Mid-Tower ATX Case (AMD Recommended)

A few quick questions:
1) Does anyone know of a site that sells the AMD 1.2 GHz chip with the 266 MHz FSB??? All I can find is the 200 MHz.
2) Is 300W enough for all this?

I really appreciate any responses. Thanks!

Krazydave

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow...sounds like something I wish I could afford. First of all, the 266MHz Tbirds aren't selling yet. The mobo will be hard to find too, because there is a recall on the AMD 760 chipset for now. You should be able to get hooked up in January. I am wondering why you chose the Maxtor drives when the IBMs are the best for just a little more $$$. Also, why the Samsung drive? I'm sure it will be fine, but everything else you listed is pretty much top of the line. I love my pioneer 105 16X slot loader. If you are going to wait for the DDR, I suggest you hold off on the motherboard selection until other ones are out. I don't tend to trust gigabyte boards, and by the time they are readily available, other manufacturers will have better stuff. I'd wait for Asus, Abit, Epox, and hopefully Micron. Otherwise that should rock.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

G

Just a side note, I didn't think it was recall on the 760 chipset. From what I heard it was the Gigabyte motherboard that was screwing up with the 266 FSB version. (I know, 133 FSB with DDR)

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

G

Thanks for the response. I'll take a look at the IBM hard drives and the Pioneer DVD looks great. But as for the processor and motherboard, isn't that what Tom used in the latest benchmark tests? Specifically, he said "Surprisingly enough we did not encounter any problems with Gigabyte's GA-7DX motherboard."

Is there something about this board that I don't know about?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I for one would avoid gigabyte like the plague, first to market is often the board most riddled with bugs. i for one know gigabytes tech support is among the worst of all the major tech manufactorers. I have written no less than ten emails to them asking them to send me a bios file and have still to get a response. Try there website and just try to download a bios....always a broken link.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some really good things are being said about the Iwill KA266-R. More stable and slightly faster than the Gigabyte board. I would go with the Iwill and they should be available any day.

TRENDING THREADS