[SOLVED] Complete hard freeze while gaming

Ph8

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
View: https://youtu.be/8AQF5l1zBpw

The above is an example - the computer will completely lock up but only while gaming and make this just God awful screeching noise (see the vid for example) and the only way t get out of it is to force shut down (hold power until pc turns off) sometimes it happens once every few days sometimes multiple times an hour. Happens across all games
(Division 2, Anthem, assassins creed origins and Odyssey, grand theft auto V, the Witcher 3, ghost recon: wildlands, and farcry 5 have all had it happen)

Bear in mind I'm very computer illiterate aside from gaming on it but I'll do my best for the specs

750w psu
16gb ram
Intel i7 8700 (non K)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 (This is a recent upgrade it also happened with the previous gtx 1070)
Windows 10

Ph8

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
make and model of the psu?
check the temp on cpu/gpu during the game?

Don't know the make/model it's kind of hidden in some kind of enclosure. Cpuz reports as low as 60 and high as 90c so it's kind of all over the place when it happens.

Something I forgot to mention is this ONLY happens during gaming. Putting the computer under synthetic loads and normal use is fine so far.

Mar 27, 2019
use guru3d graphic driver uninstaller to completly remove gpu drivers
then download newest gpu driver and install only the driver component (custom install)

Reactions: Ph8
Solution