Complete lockup... bad USB?

Merklemore3D

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hello folks!
I'm having an issue with my custom-built desktop. This is a semi-recent issue (last week or so). The computer will run smoothly for anywhere from half an hour to a few hours after booting, and then in the following order: either the mouse will freeze, the internet will go out (or both... both are USB adapters), the monitor will lock up, and if there is any sound (music, video games), it turns into a monotone, constant buzzing. I have to forcibly shut down and reboot to bring it back. Sometimes this will happen multiple times in a row. At any given time, I usually have iTunes, Chrome and a video game up, and I run Windows 7.

I've run security scans through Norton and Spybot and it hasn't helped. I've also updated all the drivers I could find. Any suggestions? Can provide hardware specs if relevant.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
There are mouse stablity, sound fixes, and added secure boot to stablize newer windows versions. Here is the link to the bios. I see you only have F18 and the newest is F20e.
download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z77x-ud3h_f20e.exe

You need to update your VIA audio drivers after the bios update.
Could be motherboard stability that requires bios update or a driver issue. If you need help finding the latest bios post your motherboard and system specs. Check using driver booster to see if you have the latest USB drivers. Its in the popular downloads.
http://download.cnet.com/windows/

Merklemore3D

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Thank you very much! I downloaded and ran the Driver Booster program, and I'm still having issues. Here are system specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F18, 10/24/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Desktop\The Merkles
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.14 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.7 GB
Page File Space 7.96 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

There are mouse stablity, sound fixes, and added secure boot to stablize newer windows versions. Here is the link to the bios. I see you only have F18 and the newest is F20e.
download.gigabyte.us/FileList/BIOS/mb_bios_ga-z77x-ud3h_f20e.exe

You need to update your VIA audio drivers after the bios update.

Solution

Merklemore3D

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
It seems that this did it... I haven't had a lockup since yesterday afternoon. Thank you so much!