*COMPLETE* Shutdown Problem - I'm stumped

denral

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I'm not sure where I needed to post this, as the issue is currently unknown. But please help out, I am at a complete and utter loss here.

It all started about 1.5 years ago shortly after building my computer, I noticed that the computer will actually RANDOMLY completely shutdown. No beeps, no blue screen. nothing. Just a complete and utter immediate powerdown as if you unplugged the power in the room. It could be when on the desktop (notably less often), or when I'm browsin the internet, or mostly when I play computer games (usually what I am on my desktop for). I want to stress though that I have had it happen in all environments and at completely random intervals. The only thing that is nonconsistent is after a certain amount of time (couple days) the problem will stop happening altogether until the next time I reboot/shut off my computer. Then it randomly occurs often again basically until I survive long enough. Time for the details.

The first thing I thought of, was powersupply. I replaced the powersupply and my problem still persisted. To make a long story short, this is what else I did over the last year.

-First thing I did was check driver/BIOS updates etc. Issue persisted.
-Oddly enough the few times I have ran furtest (whatever the program is called with the donut that blows up your computer internally) my gpu/cpu maintained well and I couldn't get the problem to happen.
-Checked temperatures - Computer seems to hover in the 50s © @ max and my house is usually in the 60s (F) so not a warm environment.
-RMA'd my motherboard, got a brand new replacement.
-Upgraded my RAM (Still same issues - MEMtest showed no issues but I just wanted to upgrade here)
-Replaced hard drive & started from a blank slate (problem actually corrupted my previous hdd over time)
-Took out video card, used on board motherboard vid card and it still happened, same thing.
-Replaced Power Supply Cord (heh)
-RMA'd my CPU Chip and received a replacement (Yeah I know, pretty much 1 in a million chance here but I got desperate)
-Even unplugged a small fan that came with the case wondering if something was short circuiting.
-This might be a bit excess, but problem is not isolated to my location.

I'm getting pretty desperate and this problem is particularly annoying. I appreciate any and all help. I feel that this problem is not hardware related, and beyond that, I know pretty much nothing. I had a friend wondering about voltages, that perhaps they were configured improperly. I'm not sure if that is a legitimate concern, but I would like to know what people here think. I may need a little handholding, or if you tell me to do something I have no problem googling around and figuring it out. Again, thank you for anything and everything! I hope we can get my computer to work properly!

Here is a copy and paste of specs from Speccy:
[edit] - speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sErM87AOqYwkiAz0BuKbGBU

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 840 15 °C
Propus 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A88-V EVO (AM3R2) 30 °C
Graphics
( Onboard )ASUS VS247 (1680x1050@60Hz)
1024MB AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives
932GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST a ATA Device

marcustheadore

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Sounds like a power problem. Either the PSU is going out or something is grounding from time to time. Make sure theirs no points of contact between your mobo and chassis. Also consider getting a PSU that you can swap out for testing. Might wanna check the cpu for over heating to. Though I do think it's PSU related not CPU.

denral

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

So far I have replaced the PSU and the problem was the same. I have not tried a THIRD psu though. Are you suspecting that perhaps the motherboard is screwed in wrong or too tight? Just want to make sure that's what you're wondering about.

[Edit] CPU runs pretty cool even when in games too btw.

For reference as well, my screw setup in motherboard is:
X X X
X X O
X X X

denral

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

PSU ROSEWILL| RG630-S12 630W RT

I am on a regular 8 strip that is then connected into the wall, however the problem was indeed duplicated when plugging my computer in at a different household (but that was also into a powerstrip).

And no, I've never contemplated that and am not sure what I would need to check? Willing to follow directions though!

First take out the power strip and plug directly into the wall. See if that by itself stops the problem

As far as the power button itself I was thinking about you disconnecting it from the motherboard and just jumping it manually to turn on the computer. If You still have a shutdown you know it isn't the button/switch's fault

marcustheadore

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
If you've replaced the PSU, then I think we move to the next step. Do you have on board gfx? Can you run the machine with minimal hardware? Have you done a clean install to nip the possibility of software causing it? Could try running the machine with minimal hardware outside of the case. Like on top of a cutting board or s/t. As a diagnostic against possible grounding.

denral

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

I plugged it into the wall and am going to see if I can get the problem to repeat itself. Because this is pretty random, we'll see if i get lucky and it can repeat itself quickly. I'll update when I can!

***UPDATE***
I did indeed plug it into the wall like you said, and oddly enough I got it to survive much longer than usual (couple days longer) without a shutdown while gaming. Although, it did happen last night again so it sounds like I may have just been really lucky.

denral

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

I do have onboard gfx and I was able to duplicate the problem when I disconnected by vid card and ran completely low settings with onboard. I did a completely clean install when I got an new hard drive as I did not image it.

Did you have a different idea with onboard gfx? And do you really think the case could be the problem?

Do you know how to breadboard? I would try it out of the case. If it still happens then you know it is not inadvertant grounding. That is what Marcus was saying when he talked about putting the mb on a cutting board. A piece of cardboard will work too just as long as the mb is not being grounded.

I run all my computers connected to UPS. They help with brownouts and overvoltage. You may have an electrical issue at the house.

TRENDING THREADS