[SOLVED] Completely corrupted .Net framework?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2019
So I was trying to make something with Visual Studio following a tutorial, some of the references I needed were running on a newer .Net framework version, I went ahead and installed 4.8. Then I still had issues building the project and googling the error codes told me that it was an issue with the particular version of Visual Studio (2017) and that an update to the latest version should fix it.
I opened up the updater and it wouldn't react at all, I just got a generic error about not being able to update or something like that. (I used the installer earlier to install additional Visual Studio modules, the only thing that changed was I installed net framework 4.8 and developer net framework 4.7.2 then it stopped working.
I tried a few things and figured the install is corrupted so I uninstalled visual studio entirely. And this is where my problems begin.

I downloaded a fresh installer for the latest Visual Studio version, and the installer just closes after extracting files, If I extract the installer files manually and run the setup nothing happens.
I found some potential fixes online, but they require the use of windows powershell, which you guessed it, doesn't work. It opens and closes immediately, If I run it through CMD I got the following error
"The shell cannot be started. A failure occurred during initialization: The type initializer for 'System.Net.ServicePointManager' threw an exception."

After a bunch of attempted fixes I'm now getting another error:
"Internal Windows PowerShell error. Loading managed Windows PowerShell failed with error 80070002." But I think that's just because there's some files in C:/Windows/Microsoft .Net/ folder missing. I tried to put in a folder from a working machine to little success.

That's not the only issue, event viewer doesn't work either, I'm getting the following error:
"MMC could not creathe the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly." With a long code below it.

Reading about it online it does seem to narrow it down to .Net framework issue, but everything I've tried so far has been unsuccessful. Here's some of the thing's I've tried so far:
cmd sfc /scannow

Disabling antivirus (ESET Internet security)

ISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth & DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Uninstalling all .Net framework packages in "Add remove programs"

Disabling, restarting PC, and re-enabling .Net packages and powershell under "Turn windows features on and off"

Running Netfxrepairtool

Running Dotnetfx clean up tool

Running both 4.7.2 and 4.8 installers with /repair argument, tried repairing the installer and uninstalling and re-installing .net framework packages.

Deleting Microsoft .Net folder in windows and replacing the contents from another windows installation.

"Upgrading" windows 10 installation from the ISO image.

Tried running powershell in when booted into safe mode (Still didn't work)

Tried running x86 version of powershell, no luck.

I'm probably even forgetting some of the other things I've tried but I'm losing hope, nothing seems to work and I've tried everything shy of doing a fresh windows install, and I really don't want to do that, I have years of software, work files and so on on the PC I really don't want to start with fresh install of windows again.

Any help will be much appreciated, I'm running out of options, I think this is the first time ever I had to go and ask for help online, most of the time I would find solutions to any problems I have online, yet this is something that I just don't know how to fix :(

Nov 7, 2019
Fixed it, I ended up deleting C:\Windows\Microsoft .Net\ folder, then running windows ISO to upgrade the installation and everything is back to normal again. Funny I tried repairing windows yesterday and it didn't work. Must have been down to deleting that folder in windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.