Completely Delete Sensitive HDD Data

LoveOverClock

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2015
I am going to sell my laptop, i already format it and did a clean install of windows but if the buyer of the laptop use a program like recuva he can restore back a lot of my data.
How i can completely delete this data and make it unrecovable?

Solution
The only way to completely delete sensitive data is to crush the drive, that is what the NAS does. Your second option is to run DBAN. You should have it overwrite it 10 times otherwise it can be recovered. It's scary how easy it is to recovery data that isn't wiped more than a few times. If someone really wanted to get at it they could.

I've done it a few times before, it's fun to look into someone else life once in a while.

Next time leave your drive encrypted and than you won't have to wipe it more than once to make it impossible to recover.

iamacow

Admirable
The only way to completely delete sensitive data is to crush the drive, that is what the NAS does. Your second option is to run DBAN. You should have it overwrite it 10 times otherwise it can be recovered. It's scary how easy it is to recovery data that isn't wiped more than a few times. If someone really wanted to get at it they could.

I've done it a few times before, it's fun to look into someone else life once in a while.

Next time leave your drive encrypted and than you won't have to wipe it more than once to make it impossible to recover.

Solution