Question Completely insane component issue on 2 identical laptops

Jul 12, 2019
Hi there,

Trying to make this as short as possible.
i have 2x Fujitsu Lifebook A512's .

White Screen. No matter what i do, White screen, I press power.. 2 seconds later, White screen.
After about 10 seconds i get a long beep.
This model has an integrated GPU, i3 with internal CPU.
I've tried taking out the battery and the power cable, holding power button for 30 seconds... 1 min
and then battery and power back on. White screen.
I've tried also removing the Bios Battery, putting it in etc, White screen
I've also tried 3 different sticks of ram, alone, together... everything
So finally i thought "It has to be a graphics problem or screen is screwed".
So i salvaged the CPU and Screen from the other one. Attached them... powERED UP!!!!
White screen.... like... wth???

Guys.. please help me before i LITERALLY smash this customers laptop on the wall.

Peace

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A512 's are pron to overheating and excessive flex from forcing the Display up over time tends to break the connector for the display. You can try this but there is no guarantee it will work, most of the time I ended up just replacing the motherboard.

Pull the CMOS battery.
Pull and clean the CPU heat exchanger and replace the thermal paste.
Physically check the fan and make sure it works
Check the Ribbon cable going to the display and make sure it is clamped correctly, verify the soldered pads are solid.
With the unit partially assembled plug in an External display, power up with the main battery out and see what happens.

Jul 12, 2019
A512 's are pron to overheating and excessive flex from forcing the Display up over time tends to break the connector for the display. You can try this but there is no guarantee it will work, most of the time I ended up just replacing the motherboard.

Pull the CMOS battery.
Pull and clean the CPU heat exchanger and replace the thermal paste.
Physically check the fan and make sure it works
Check the Ribbon cable going to the display and make sure it is clamped correctly, verify the soldered pads are solid.
With the unit partially assembled plug in an External display, power up with the main battery out and see what happens.

Hi Delaro.

(EditL can you tell me how i short/reset the bios on a lapotp wih a frozen bios, I've seen people taking out the battery and using tweezers to make a connection between both battery prongs, is that what i need to do? and if so, does the laptop need to be plugged in here etc?)

Thank you so much for replying, I CAN'T find a reliable place where i can go and just ask a quick question and get an answer within a few mins. Do you know any? Even chat rooms or char forums where people sit all day chatting about repairs etc?

Anyway. I have 2x Fan/Heat pipe assembly's. I literally have 2 A512s.
I was getting a white screen no matter what i tried. I CAN'T get a picture on an external monitor. Now, when i plug the HDMI cable into the machine when the unit is off but with the power plugged in, The Screen switches over to another screen letting you know something is plugged in. So the HDMI port is working.

I removed both CPU's and Properly cleaned them off with Isopropyl, they're glistening, Also, the 2 fan/heatpipes are both throughly cleaned and I've applied a small blob of Arctic Silver paste to each CPU. I've tried both CPU's in the computer, AND I've tried BOTH A512 screens.
I literally thought "there's nothing i can do, I've tried everything, I'm literally going to take the screen AND the CPU from the other A512 and put them in this one, THAT will fix the white screen issue". I did so, turned her on and BOOM. White screen...
it's INSANE brother, What else can cause a display to turn on, with white, if it's not coming from the CPU (which holds he GPU also) OR the screen? What else is there ?
Please help man because I'm losing my mind here.
Any other ideas? A completely different screen AND Cpu didn't even fix the White screen.
I've also tried 3 different ram sticks in all different configs.
Help!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Normally holding the power button down would complete a circuit and discharge the BIOS backup... but so should taking the battery out and letting it sit for a few minutes.

There is really nothing else you can check/ troubleshot beyond component level inspection and that goes beyond the value of the laptop. It could be the BIOS chip, switching IC, components related to powering the display, a faulty ground who knows. :rolleyes:

Jul 12, 2019
Normally holding the power button down would complete a circuit and discharge the BIOS backup... but so should taking the battery out and letting it sit for a few minutes.

There is really nothing else you can check/ troubleshot beyond component level inspection and that goes beyond the value of the laptop. It could be the BIOS chip, switching IC, components related to powering the display, a faulty ground who knows. :rolleyes:

Ok, so can you help with the other one? lol the other one is the same laptop, but the problem with this one, is the fact that even when i have the motherboard out, and nothing in but the CPU and Ram, when i turn on the power button, it immediately turns off, the fan spins for a couple of seconds, then about 5 seconds later, it turns on again, off, on looping. the only think that can change this, is after the 3rd time it loops, it does stop, it stays powered but the fan isn't going, screen is black, nothing on it at all, and anytime the CPU gets hot, the fan comes on for a white to cool it down then it turns off.
If i take the ram out, so only the board and the CPU are powered, the power light just keeps flashing.
if i put ram and a HDD in to that, same, turns on and off looping, but when i press the power, a second later the HDD beeps once.
Any ideas here?

Jul 12, 2019

delaro! Brother!