Completely New to Overclocking (cpu/GPU) Seeking Advice/Insight

Apr 16, 2018
Hello all at Tom's,

I am a new member to this website and I love reading all the expert talk on my newfound hobby of PC building!

I have only one other thread in reference to an upgrade so I am still getting my posting bearings on (forgive me for that thread fellas).

Essentially, I want to learn all there is to know about overclocking. What can I expect from it, will it affect my performance, is it even necessary?

I have read about risks, delidding and a whole lot of stuff. But I literally built my first PC (for real, not just upgrading the graphics card like my teenage self thought was the full upgrade).

Here are my specs:

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M PH-ES515PTG_BK, Tempered Glass Window, Brushed Black Steel/Plastic Mid Tower ATX Chassis

Intel Core i5-7600K LGA 1151 Desktop Processors (BX80677I57600K)

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Thermaltake SMART 700W Continuous Power ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS Active PFC Power Supply PS-SPD-0700NPCWUS-W

Kraken x62 AIO

Asus Nvidia GTX 1060 TURBO

2 phanteks intake 140mm fans, 2 nzxt kraken fans intake, 3 corsair rgb fans all exhaust all 120mm

Sandisk ultra 1TB (like 890G in reality lol)

So all in all,

I am highly interested in taking my build to the next level. I've already enabled default XMP settings profile 1 on the RAM and notice small temp increases.

LOW CPU TEMP is 27c and max ive seen playing AC Origins all ultra settings@55-70fps 55c

the GPU gets real hot though, idle is like 37c (-ish) and 72c with AC Origins running at 99-100% load (same with CPU but sometimes it changes)

Furthermore, I am simply a PC Building noob interested in the allure of overclocking. What is it, what can I gain from it, am I able to do it and most of all

is it worth it?

Thank you all for the time you've taken to respond in advanced. (if you want an image of my case feel free to ask)

The basics are pretty simple. cooling, Voltage and speed.
Cooling is key because overclocking raises temperature and that's what does the damage.
In theory if you raise the sped10% you create 10% more heat. if you raise Voltage 20%, and speed 20% then heat increases 44%. 1.2X1.2=1.44.
Due to inefficiency it's almost always worse.
More Voltage increases stability which allows more speed. Too high Voltage can damage the CPU instantly so learn the limits before you start.
There are 2 ways to increase speed. FSB, or BCLK as it's called now which doesn't require an unlocked CPU but does require an unlocked BIOS. It usually results in overclocking the RAM also which is a mixed blessing. The other is multiplier overclocking which requires an unlocked CPU and not all BIOS support it. But it directly speeds up the CPU only.
Basically you make small increases and test for stability, and temperature. Then repeat. GPUs can run at higher temperatures than CPUs. Different CPUs have diffferent spec. for this also.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from juancr0141 : "I want to get the most out of my new build"

motherboard?

Apr 16, 2018

Asus PRIME Z270-A