completely oblivious, Need help with upgrading my PC's graphics card

17paynsa

Prominent
Dec 28, 2017
hey guys,
I have had this really expensive (around $2500) pre-built PC for a while now, and its been under-performing for as long as i can remember (running skyrim special edition with no graphics mods on low settings and a complete failure to run the relatively new deus-ex). I wanted to build the PC myself, however my parents insisted they pay for a more expensive pre-built pc as it was intended to be a family computer. I am however pretty much the only one who uses it and i intend on upgrading it. i consulted an acquaintance who recommended i upgrade the graphics card as it is bottle necking the build. my major concern is a newer graphics card may overload the psu. Here are the specs of the current build:
intel(R) core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz.
16GB of RAM.
AMD radeon HD 7700 series.
Intel(R) HD graphics 4600.
TM 420W psar i3 PSU.
Gigabyte GA H87M HD motherboard.
Not really sure if i need to provide more info, as i dont really know much about pc's. Im looking to upgrade the graphics card to a MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB. any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Seems like a complete mismatch of hardware generations for a pre-built PC. That aside...

Firstly, is it a big brand pre-built? Dell or HP and the likes. I ask because there's a possibility they use proprietary (or custom) components which may prevent certain upgrades. If you do, then I would suggest googling to see if anyone has made a similar upgrade for peace of mind.

A graphics card upgrade would be the most efficient way of getting more out of the PC (assuming the upgrade is possible). As is, the HD 7770 doesn't meet minimum spec requirements for Skyrim: SSE or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. The 1060 you've chosen has a recommended PSU of 400W so you should be fine. https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-6GT-OC/Specification

If there aren't any upgrade issues as I've noted above, you should clean install drivers in case there are conflicts:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

That all said, which route you take sounds like it will depend somewhat on your parents. If they don't know much about computers they can be hesitant to allow their children to build their own. Building a PC can be fun, but also has many points of possible issues come up. Troubleshooting to find which component isn't working and then having to send it back can be a hassle for some.

keatingscool

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
So looking at your build yes I would highly recommend getting a new GPU. There is one problem though. A lot of GPU's now a days require a power cable to be plugged into it from the Power supply. The power supply you currently have does not have one of those power cables. The graphics card that you listed does require a 6 pin power cable. Also before when you install a geforce NVDIA GPU make sure you get rid of everything thats RADEON to safe you hastle in future. I will provide a webiste that I use to tell you if your computer will be compatible with things you want inside of it or hardware that already insde. So, overall I reccomend looking into getting a good 40$ powersupply and then upgrading GPU. website link is going to be provided. Just create your own parts list and it will tell you if its compatible. Hope this works for you!

https://pcpartpicker.com/