Question Completely randomly fully freezing (new build)

Dec 10, 2021
Hi,
I built a new PC earlier this week, and a seemingly random intervals, my mouse will disappear and nothing will respond, requiring me to do a hard shut down. I've done a memtest, and it all passed, and I'm at a loss of what to do. My drivers are all up to date.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix 570e
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
Memory: G.SKILL 32GB 2X16 D4 3600 CL16 RJ
GPU: EVGA 3080 FTW3
SSD: SAMSUNG E 2TB 980PRO NVME GEN4SSD
Power Supply: EVGA 850GA 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
If I had to guess I would say that you have either power problems or video driver crashing issues.

Update, sorry about that!
Not going to lie, that is not the best PSU, but also not the worst. Your components, imo, do not match with the quality of your PSU. I am not saying this is your issue, but keep in mind if it is not deemed your problem a new quality PSU would make for a good upgrade later.

Dec 10, 2021
I do remember there being some power draw issues, with factory overclocked 30 series cards, and some PSU's that couldn't handle the high power spikes. Might be worth turning down the power limit, using Precision X, or MSI afterburner.

I can definitely try that, though it's happened while the PC is idle, I doubt there's any strong power draws happening while sitting on the desktop

I do remember there being some power draw issues, with factory overclocked 30 series cards, and some PSU's that couldn't handle the high power spikes. Might be worth turning down the power limit, using Precision X, or MSI afterburner.
I believe you are referring to the transient spikes upwards of 500w for the higher end cards. In some PSUs this may trigger the OCP, or so I have read.