Completely reinstalling windows 7 because of viruses

Callsign Zulu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015
So my sister's computer is an older HP Pavilion and she has been using it for ages. It is a solid laptop but it is plagued with god knows what. I looked in the task manager and it was amazing what the thing was doing on idle. Anyways I need to just reinstall windows but I am not to sure how. I mean I know the whole process but where would i get my hand on a key or is there a way to figure out the key for this machine and then download and iso from somewhere on the net?

Callsign Zulu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

The thing is that she may have root kits in it and virus protection software rarly picks that stuff up unless you choose like a $60 disinfection plan for 1 time use. There is nothing sensitive on there and she wants a fresh start since I am finally off the PC now that I have my own.

When a computer has a lot of malware on it, I think a clean reinstall is always best. What I do is clone the OS drive to a spare HDD, and do that every few months. That way I can get back to a good clean installation of the OS and all of my programs with little effort.

But not everyone has a bunch of HDDs lying around.

Callsign Zulu

Reputable
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah and that keeps windows from being bogged down by accumulating files

ccqueen

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013

Ohh okay, yeah then that would be the better route to take.