[SOLVED] Completely separate PC for work/personal usage

Jan 10, 2020
I decided it is best to separate my personal and work usage of my home PC for security reasons.
For work I have to use installed software I don't completely trust will honor my privacy while for personal stuff I keep it clean.
Since both are primary ways I use the PC I need to keep the hardware performance and capabilites, I am unsure what strategy is best. Here are some I have in mind but still question:
  1. Using a VM, such as Virtualbox, Vmware or Hyper-V for work - I'm worried about performance drops.
  2. Two OSs - I question the security when the filesystem still accessible from both OS
I will appreciate any ideas and suggestions!

Last edited:
Solution
How important is security to you? And expense depends on what you use your work computer for. You can get a preowned quad core workstation with usually around 8gb ram and at least a 500 GB hdd for between 75-150 USD. If you're really looking to go cheap, there are tutorials all over on installing a second OS on another drive, and how to keep them separate from each other.

Remeca

Reputable
How important is security to you? And expense depends on what you use your work computer for. You can get a preowned quad core workstation with usually around 8gb ram and at least a 500 GB hdd for between 75-150 USD. If you're really looking to go cheap, there are tutorials all over on installing a second OS on another drive, and how to keep them separate from each other.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for your replies, I didn't consider a second device as that would be costly.
I can get a bigger SSD for running two OS but will that be secure enough?
Depends on what each system is running.
What specific security issues are you looking at?

Even with 2 physical drives and an OS each, the other drive is still available unless you physically disconnect it.

One SSD per scenario. Physically Swap SSDs as necessary. Now you have "two devices".
An option for single SSD:
  • One partition for Windows (shared).
  • One BitLocker-ed partition for work files.
  • Another BitLocker-ed partition for private files.
  • One user account per scenario. Unlock partitions as necessary.
You can still "poison" shared OS partition, tough.