Completely stealth lag

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
It's been a month now and I am completely out of ideas. No matter what I'm doing or how I'm doing it my internet will lag (phone, desktop, laptop). I've had 4 Comcast technicians at my house that completely redid the wiring outside of my house and put in a new box. I've gone through 2 different modems and 3 different routers.

Nothing fixes anything. I've ran multiple different speed tests that all show no issue whatsoever and claim that my internet is running at full speed (28 Mbps). Cannot even watch 360p videos without lag and you can forget about gaming. I and the 4 technicians that have been out here have absolutely no idea what the problem is. Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Solution
Could be lack of QoS (Quality of Service), when implemented it prioritizes the packets of latency sensitive applications like video streaming or gaming, either is not activated on your router or not active in the node to which you connect to Comcast.

However, with or without it you should be able to watch a movie with no issues when that's the only thing using the connection, you might wanna test again with your pc directly connected to the router and completely sure that no one is using the connection via wireless while you test it.
Something in your network is clearly using all of your bandwidth, try to run only one device connected at a time and see with which one its lagging (you could install a bandwidth monitor like NetLimiter 3 on your pc and laptop so you could see which process is using your connection).

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
I've tried connecting computer directly to router which I know for a fact isn't using any bandwidth and the lag is still there. I will try NetLimiter 3 and report back with results.

Steveleeb

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
The download speed is fine that is why we cannot find any problems. It's just the huge lag spikes we get while gaming or watching Netflix that are impossible to produce on command.

Could be lack of QoS (Quality of Service), when implemented it prioritizes the packets of latency sensitive applications like video streaming or gaming, either is not activated on your router or not active in the node to which you connect to Comcast.

However, with or without it you should be able to watch a movie with no issues when that's the only thing using the connection, you might wanna test again with your pc directly connected to the router and completely sure that no one is using the connection via wireless while you test it.

Solution