Completely Stuck in Repair Boot Loop

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Hello! Yesterday when I turned on my Lenovo laptop, it said something along the lines of repairing Windows, so I waited for it to be done. Then the screen went black and I waited for a couple hours and nothing happened. So, I restarted and basically tried every method I could find online to fix it for at least 8 hours. I eventually found out how to completely wipe my hard drive using a recovery drive, so I did so, then installed a fresh version of Windows 10 from another USB. Everything went smooth and I started setting up Windows 10 once the installation finished. After logging into Windows for the first time(right before desktop would pop up), the screen went black. I restarted and now it says system recovery, then diagnosing your computer. I can't even get it into recovery mode or anything of that sort no matter what I try. PLEASE HELP!!!

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Thanks for your reply! No idea what hard drive I have and I'm not all that great with computers so if it's a hard drive failure, that basically means I have to take it into a shop to get it replaced(which I'm trying to avoid). I can't boot into safe mode as it doesn't bring the welcome screen up at all.

Well it sounds like it may well have to go for repairs, as most things you could try will probably be a little complicated, like resetting BIOS ETC.

If you attach the USB with Windows on then power up, do you go to the installation menu? If you do, in advanced options you could restart in safe mode there. Or you could select the repair option, or even try a chkdsk via safe mode cmd if that fails..

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

How would I have Windows on, then put the stick in, then power windows up?

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Oh, sorry. I loaded up a stick with Windows 7 on it and nothing happens, so I guess I'll try one with Windows 10 and see if anything happens.

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I took a Windows 7 iso and burned it to a use using Rufus.

Put it at the top of your boot order in BIOS then see if the installer runs when you reboot.

Exactly how you enter BIOS and choose boot device order depends on your exact laptop model, but you havent said so I cant answer more specifically, but its often by holding f2 as you turn it on.

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

I'm trying to fix a Lenovo g505s. I go into my bios by a small button near the power button, but it still doesn't want to boot up using the stick like it did before I installed a fresh version of Windows.

McNifficent

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017

Yes. I got it working somehow with Windows 10 installer loaded on a USB, and just turning the computer off and on a few times while changing nothing. I'm trying repair first.