Question Completely Stumped - Aurora R4

Zseguin

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Hello,

Im helpin a buddy out upgrading his aurora r4, it was becoming slow, so we installed a GTX 1060 and an SSD.
I found an issue that when the ethernet is plugged in or unplugged, the computer freezes/crashes, sometimes this happens with usb as well.
I have tried reinstalling windows 10 multiple times, issue still persists. Even after just a simple install and letting windows update.
I found this issue does not happen before updating windows, so i feel it is something to do with a driver and an update not working together.
Any suggestion would be appreciated!
Thanks

Zseguin

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Has he visited here? https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-aurora-r4/drivers and run detect drivers?

can you run driverview, set it to hide microsoft drivers and show me a screenshot? You will need to upload screenshot to an image sharing web site and show link here.

b7jas4.jpg
here is a screen shot

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was hoping the drivers would have dates on them and not just NA. The LAN driver version 9.1.407.2015 appears to be from July 2015, which is newer than the version on the Dell website.

his ethernet controller is: RTL8111E
Try this, go to the Realtek website and scroll down to Windows and download the Win 10 package

Zseguin

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I was hoping the drivers would have dates on them and not just NA. The LAN driver version 9.1.407.2015 appears to be from July 2015, which is newer than the version on the Dell website.

his ethernet controller is: RTL8111E
Try this, go to the Realtek website and scroll down to Windows and download the Win 10 package
Thank you for the link, unfortunately it has not fixed the issue...
I have come to figure out how to create the problem more consistant. When i load a game then unplug the ethernet the pc crashes. After having to force a shut down with the power switch then rebooting the issue is now more persistent when simply just loading the desktop then unplugging the ethernet the pc crashes. Only after reinstalling/repairing the network driver does the issie go away, until i repeat what i said above.
I dont understand... haha
Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
what GPU did it have in it before? wonder if its the power supply somehow (this is speculation)

I don't know what would cause PC to freeze just by removing a cable/USB. Most of the results i find are for when you plug cable in, not remove it?

I will see if anyone else has any smart ideas

Last edited:

Zseguin

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
what GPU did it have in it before? wonder if its the power supply somehow (this is speculation)

I don't know what would cause PC to freeze just by removing a cable/USB. Most of the results i find are for when you plug cable in, not remove it?

I will see if anyone else has any smart ideas
thanks a lot, much appreciated! He had a GTX 660