Question Completely stumped with GPU issues

Oct 30, 2022
So I have a gtx 1080ti and I purchased it as broken as the guy said it crashes at an exact temp (which is tested to be true). I assumed its gunna be a thermal issue so I took the GPU apart, repasted it etc and it was working like gold. Until it didnt. I would get random crashes, sometimes artifacting, sometimes a black screen, sometimes high lag, along with other symptoms. If I'd try to recreate the issue, the symptom would be something entirely random. Here's the weird thing. When I take the card out of the PC and leave it for a while. put it back in lets say a week later, it'll work fine for another day or so before recreating the issues. It'll go from one crash a day to 3 a day then 10 a day before I just take it out and realize its f****d again. It passes stress tests with ease(when working) and nothing seems a fault. I've tried updating BIOS, changing clocks, drivers etc. Any idea of whats going on? Running on a 600W power supply and being powered with a daisy chain 4pin+3pin (founders edition card)

Thanks!

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Please edit your language as this is a "family" forum and against the rules.

Often artifacting is the result of VRAM issues, but can be poor thermal pad application and in the case of one of the latest Nvidia updates, a driver issues. In my case 522.25, but updating beyond that seemed to help.

Try pushing down the thermal and or power limit in afterburner to see if you can get stability.

Hope you didn't pay much for this. Never a good idea to buy a known bad card unless very cheap or you need a part from it.

Oct 30, 2022
Please edit your language as this is a "family" forum and against the rules.

Often artifacting is the result of VRAM issues, but can be poor thermal pad application and in the case of one of the latest Nvidia updates, a driver issues. In my case 522.25, but updating beyond that seemed to help.

Try pushing down the thermal and or power limit in afterburner to see if you can get stability.

Hope you didn't pay much for this. Never a good idea to buy a known bad card unless very cheap or you need a part from it.

Nono i got it for really cheap with the intention of fixing it/selling it for scraps if I couldn't fix it.

We've tried lowering power to 70 with the same issues.

Tried different drivers with no help at all

At this point I'm almost certain its dead, but I have no clue which specific component is causing it due to the wide range of circumstances and symptoms.

I assumed ram at first but why would it work for a whole day before crashing every time I load the pc up :(.

Got any more ideas?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Got any more ideas?

Truly helpful? Probably not, but...

You could try to take it down, spray it down real good with something like brake cleaner, take a soft brush to it, spray back off with an all purpose spray, blow off with a blower (etc) and try to repaste/pad see if anything comes of it. (reference Tech Yes City on YouTube "tech yes lovin")

Off in the land of hairbrained ideas I have heard tell of baking the PCB. If it's already bad I don't suppose you can ruin it.

Given the issues I doubt it is your power supply, but is it a reputable brand of good rating? I am sure you have triple checked the connectors.

Oct 30, 2022
the land of hairbrained ideas I have heard tell of baking the PCB. If it's already bad

hahaahah I've taken it apart so many times repasting and checking pads etccccc. I'll try it on another system as I've only properly tested it on ONE system that was previously on a 1050ti. My main rig has a 3070 however the bios was being so strange with which card it tried to boot from or whatever, sometimes trying to boot from an empty pcie slot (bios screen would never show and display would show only after windows has loaded). HOWEVER, I got a new CPU and new MB so tomorrow I will try it on my main rig and I guess we will see! Just wanna know what exactly is wrong with it before giving up :(
Thanks!

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I suspect that it's heading to heaven and there wasn't much of a chance of you to salvage it. I'd still like to know more about the PSU situation, whether if you're actually giving it a chance to work correctly. There are very few competent PSUs at precisely 600W, and it's not a good sign that you're referencing powering it with a four-pin and a three-pin somehow, neither of which are the number of pins on a PCIE connector.