Complex and unusual question(s)

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
First off, let me list my system rig, although it isn't much :):

AMD XP64 3000+
Gigabyte K8NS-939 - nForce 3 chipset
512MB PC3200 Corsair Value series (I had 1G, but had a thunderstorm :().
SATA 80GB WDHDD
GeForce 6200 OC (BFG 256MB)
...and sadly...a cheap 300 or 350w PSU.

As I said, I had a thunderstorm, which knocked out my PSU (Thermaltake 450w) and one of my sticks of RAM, so because of lack of money, I have had to adapt to get what I have running.

Before, I was running a PNY GF5200 128MB card, which served it's time well, but needed to rest in peace. Can't beat a card that was $100 doing what you needed it to for over 5 years ;). But now, I received the GF6200 OC for Christmas. I had thought that they were very good cards (notch or so two for high-end when the 6800 was king), but I am hearing otherwise.

After having both cards, I have noticed similar performances. The GF6200 OC is better, but only slightly. I ran 3dMark05 on the new card, and not only did my PC crash with the "BSOD(nv4_disp)", but I do not recall breaking 7 FPS. This does not sound right.

I know that my RAM and especially my PSU are in dire need of an upgrade, but will that cause this much of a slowdown?

When I built this PC, I wanted it to be a high-end gaming machine (after I got a new videocard), but even when I first played a game on there, it wasn't as much of an overwhelmingly better feeling as it was a disappointment. Yea it was better, but I still thought it would be more for what I paid, and especially considering that my old system was a AMD XP 2100, 512 PC2100, PoS mobo, old vid card listed above, etc.

I still can take my new card back, and I was looking, and a higher model card (yea I know that doesn't mean a lot) was only like $20 more from the same store (the card is PNY - Verto GeForce 7600 GS 512MB DDR2 AGP). If the card that I have is as good as I had expected, I am OK with that, because that would mean that I would need to upgrade the PSU and RAM probably.

Now the questions lol...

Is the graphics card I have high-end gaming quality, or should I get a new one?
Is the sluggishness that I am having because of my PSU/RAM/other?
What would be my best option to get a good FPS setting on next to the highest settings on say...like Doom 3, BF2142, etc? Not really the newest games out there, but the ones close.

If this means "get rid of your X and get a new one, toss out that Y and get a real one", I am OK with that too. If that is the case, I would appreciate it if someone(or many people lol) would give their opinion of solid setup like the one I described in my last question.

There are other things I do with my PC, such as school work, programming, art (using Adobe), etc., but for the most part...I want a great gaming rig.

Sorry for the beast of a post, and my first one as well, but I like to be descriptive for best responses and input lol. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Real999

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Poor guy, you didn't checked the charts on this site, haven't you...
6200 is about the most crappy card a gamer can buy

first of all: memory (256MB) says nothing, a 7600gt has 256MB and the card is about 10 times as fast as yours

second: if they only charge about 40 bucks (newegg) for such a card what did you expect?

it ISN't made for games but for office and internetbrowsing stuff
possible games to play on it: sim city 2000 and return 2 castle wolfenstein

(get the 7600gs :wink: )

Real999

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Now that i think about it, maybe you should take a 7600gt (if ur living in the usa, i'm not :(, check newegg or something similar)
There are some nice 7600gt deals going on at the moment on newegg

4745454b

Titan

HAHAHAHAHA, oh wait, your serious aren't you? Let me phrase it like this, no, your card isn't even in the relm of high-end gaming. Like the people in boats outside Candlestick park waiting for the homers, it isn't even in the ballpark. Does this mean its a crap card? It will do the job of basic video, its not a gaming card. (much like your 5200.) Its faster then your old 5200, but still in the same clase.

The sluggishness is because of your card. If you want more FPS, you have to pay to play.

What would be my best option to get a good FPS setting on next to the highest settings on say...like Doom 3, BF2142, etc? Not really the newest games out there, but the ones close.

(one of) Your problems is the AGP slot on your motherboard. Gamers have moved onto PCIe. This means your limited to fewer cards, that will also be more expensive. This is where things get tricky. The cheapest upgrade for you is to find someone ditching their old 6800/x800 AGP card. These cards will be quite a bit faster then anything you've had recently, and will probably make you quite happy. Depending on where you find it, you might be able to get one for ~$100-$150.

Another possibility is to move up to a S939 motherboard that has PCIe. Your ram and chip should both carry over. You could probably buy a S939 board for ~$75, and a "cheap" x1900pro for around $200. If your looking to spend around $250-300, this will provide the best gaming buck.

Last, don't forget about your PSU. Even if you move to a 6800/x800 card, it might stress the new lowend PSU your using. I lack any and all budget figures from you, but I'm guessing your not rolling in the money like that lady in that movie. Start looking for the future. Get a good highend PSU that will carry over, and buy a used 6800/x800. This gets you prepared for newer things, and gets you at least in the nose bleed seats at the stadium.

(WTH is up with me. Did I just write all that??? I hate baseball.)

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I have built a few of systems a lot time ago (mostly P3's), but since then, I have fallen out of the loop really.

I used to read this site a lot, but forgot about it until recently :(. Won't make that mistake again hehe. So...the PNY cards are good? I had some issues with their fans and heatsyncs before, but they were overall stable.

So, is it in my head that the 5200 and the 6200 are almost on the same pace? If I get that GPU, will I need a better PSU to run it? I would almost assume so, but I couldn't afford it until around the 1st.

Also, I have been an nVidia mark for a long time, but could be persuaded otherwise if something is better (I have made too many narrow-minded mistakes). I am still kicking myself for not going PCI-e on my mobo...but for some reason, I just say it not working out.

One last thing, what do people recommend for a new rig (from top to bottom...monitor to tower) for around $900-1200 USD. I have run AMD since the P3's, but again, I am ready and willing to change if it will help my games XD. I would probably go up to a PCI-e, and would keep the system that I have now.

NotSoSober

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Your card is not high-end gaming quality. I would suggest you look for a 7600GT too, since it has relativeley good performance considering its price but I wouldnt call that card a high-end gaming card either.
PSU does not cause sluggishness just crashes, or maybe it does and I just cant figure out how. But you should use one you can feel confident with.

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
So, it seems as if the 7600GT is the best card that I should get right now? Are there any within the same price range that are better?

Also, when I built machines, I always kept a CRT monitor because the LCDs were 1) overpriced and 2) looked a lot worse for gaming. I have had this monitor for like 7 years...19 inch CRT...but I would like to get a new one. I know CRT is non-existent right now for the most part (they are cheap though lol), but do LCDs give the same feel as the CRTs now, or are they still a step behind?

Last thing...any manufacturer better?

Real999

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
7600 gt is the best u can get for your money (I have one myself and I can't imagine a better midrange gaming card :D ) @ Newegg you can find them starting at only 80$ with rebate

So, it seems as if the 7600GT is the best card that I should get right now? Are there any within the same price range that are better?

Are you moving to PCIe or sticking with AGP? you started talking about a new rig and all but the 7600GT is not a good option for AGP if you're sticking there.

There your options are more the X1650Pro realm, with the X1600Pro and GF7600GS being poorer runners-up.

Also, when I built machines, I always kept a CRT monitor because the LCDs were 1) overpriced and 2) looked a lot worse for gaming. I have had this monitor for like 7 years...19 inch CRT...but I would like to get a new one. I know CRT is non-existent right now for the most part (they are cheap though lol), but do LCDs give the same feel as the CRTs now, or are they still a step behind?

LCDs are better than they were, but aren't the same as CRTs without getting to the exotic white LED kind. They are good enough for most people though, and worth looking at up close to decide if they work for you. CRTs are kinda bulky but for colours, refresh and contrast they still beat most LCDs, but the chosting issues and poor viewing angles of old LCDs are a thing of the past.

Last thing...any manufacturer better?

IMO, HIS is the best for ATi and eVGA best for nV (since Gainward is Euro I don't usually recommend it for N.Am use).

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I am going to buy a new rig probably mid-late next year (around Oct when prices fall). I was going to go for a ~$1k build, but decided to wait until I can get around $2k so that I can get what I really want out of it. $1,000 wouldn't get me a great system unless it was just the box really. Having the extra money will most certainly pay off, and plus, the DX10 cards will be cheaper and the technology will be more defined (dual cores, DX10, etc.)

I do, however, want a card that I can pick up for ~$150 for my current rig, but my only concern with the GT vs the GS is the fact that I have a gimp PSU lol (300w for clarification, as I looked for sure earlier).

I know I need a new PSU, but with only ~$150, my options are limited. I would, however, get a new PSU to just run a card if I could afford both with S+H.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
If you want the best bang for buck out of 150$ to last you until next year when you get a 2k budget, do this:
9800 Pro for 79.99
Another 512 stick of ram, maybe 40-50 bucks.
Use the left over to buy a pizza or something.

That'll let you play recent games at decent settings with decent framerates. (Modest of course, thinking medium settings with no AA/AF)

BF2 you could probably play at max settings with this card, Doom 3 maybe medium-high settings, not max and no AA/AF though. Then again, Doom 3 is old now, I get max settings out of Doom 3 on my 6800XT PCI-Express and 9800 Pro is around the same performance as my card.

What a 9800 Pro lacks though is 3.0 shaders.

EDIT: You won't need a new PSU to use a 9800 Pro, but even if you do, the budget I listed puts you at maybe 120. You'll have 30 left over to get some cheap crap-brand 450w power supply. Sure their quality sucks, but they'd definitely last you until October.

Again, what I suggest isn't CREAM of the crop. It's just "get me by" suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS