Question Complex Issue: Computer reboots when exiting full-screen game, won't let me update drivers without malfunctioning?

Sep 16, 2022
My PC has been malfunctioning for quite some time, and it has had a number of repairs, including cooling system repair and PSU replacement (upgrade). It is now working fine, however something seems to be wrong with my GPU, most likely drivers.

When exiting a game that runs in full-screen (typically League or Valorant, and typically at the end of a game, not when alt-tabbing), the monitors will both switch off. Sound will continue for a moment, and then the PC will automatically reboot, presenting me with the login screen.

The most common solution to this problem is updating drivers, which I attempted to do. However, after uninstalling the drivers (both with Nvidia GeForce and with SafeMode and DDU), the problems begin. The computer restarts as normal, but upon startup there are green lines across the (functional) screen. If I attempt to do anything - sometimes i get as far as trying to install new drivers, sometimes not even there, the PC will crash. When I reboot it, the monitors both connect but are unresponsive. Sometimes, I will see the MSI logo and the Windows loading screen, but this will soon disappear and both monitors will be black - but on. This continues regardless of how long PC is on afterward, and everything else seems to boot fine.
What should I do? Would updating to Windows 11 help, or break it entirely?

System specs are:
Windows 10
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
be quiet! PC 750W PSU
Intel® Core™ i7-10700K Processor
MSI Z490 GAMING PLUS motherboard

Thanks!

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
How full is the boot drive? If it's less than 10% empty, Windows will run into some problems.
If that's not the case, I would check Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor to see if any helpful information can be gathered from the shutdowns and crashes.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
to the OP

are your Windows Drivers up to date? If not, I recommend to update now.

my GPU had a similar problem a year or two ago. It was solved by first updating the Windows 10 drivers, after that I could install the Nvidia drivers properly.

Last edited: