[SOLVED] COMPLICATED: Using Logic, Skype, iTunes, and a Scarlett 2i2 interface to do a live audio podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickedtripod

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello all,

I've spent about 60 hours on this and I'm no closer to where I was before.

Here's the scenario:
I've been selected to host an audio podcast. I'm excited and it's been my dream to do such a thing for a long time so I want it to be perfect. (I know it will get better over time, but I want the setup to be ideal).

Currently, I run a Shure SM7B into a Scarlett 2i2 that goes USB into my 15" rMBP. What I want to do is record my microphone, Skype, and a soundboard application in Logic while sending my EQ'd mic and Soundboard into Skype. I AM NOT OPPOSED TO BUYING A MIXER IF IT WILL BE EASIER.

There are many podcasters I know who are doing this, but I don't personally know any of them, and when reaching out for comment, none of them have replied.

Here is what his email said (he uses ALL hardware routing, and no software routing):

"Hey there!

Okay, so my setup is unique. I don’t know of anyone else that uses it. It’s the one that works for me, even though I’m absolutely certain there are a multitude of ways that this can be accomplished. I don’t wish this kind of trouble on anyone else, but I’ll use my setup as a way to describe to you how I get things done.

For the audio I/O bridges, let’s make this simple. #1, #2, #3 have 2 ins and outs while #4 has 4 each. Logic can send signals out of all four of those outputs (using an Auxiliary channel to send it). So, my simplest setup for audio routing purposes is this:

Mic > input 1 of #4 > Logic
Skype > output of #2 > input 2 of #4
Soundboard > output of #1 > inputs 3&4 of #4

Logic sends 1&2 (full mix) > inputs 1&2 of #3 > stream
Logic sends 3&4 (my mic + Soundboard) > #2 > Skype

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Pat"

Can someone a) decipher this for me b) recommend a soundboard that would do this (I do have an extra computer that I can use if 2 computers would be better) and c) is anyone willing to take time to help me? I am willing to pay if need be.

Thank you all, sorry about the long post. I've sunk 60 hours into this in the last 4 days and I need to stop.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.